Synthetic Oil

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Re: Synthetic Oil

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Oil is part one, don't forget part two which is a good filter.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

InMyHumbleOpinion wrote:Oil is part one, don't forget part two which is a good filter.
Thank you! Hadn't processed that far ahead, and you are absolutely correct. As I read about oils, additives, properties, and so on, one of the points made is how the filter removes the contaminates the oil has suspended...

By the way, I founda great resource about oils. Simple enough for me to undestand, but with enough technical supportive information to really learn something. http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oi ... ic_oil.htm
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

InMyHumbleOpinion wrote:Oil is part one, don't forget part two which is a good filter.
thats part of the reason i havent bothered to go beyond a 6k oil change cycle. filter life.

ive always looked at it this way - you can do one helluva lot of oil changes for what an engine change costs. so i just let it be a cost per mile calculation.

i figure a new engine, parts and labor is gonna run about $4k - if you're lucky anyway - but its a nice round number for some math :)

so that gets you 61, $65 oil changes @ 6000 miles = 366,000 miles

or roughly $0.011 per mile, give or take
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I care more about the filter than oil.... Be leary of the oil/filter package deals at the auto part stores. Most of the time the included filters are junk (fram). Pay a little extra for a mobile 1, bosch, wix, K&N.

And don't forget your Fumoto valve.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

The filter is an important element. Buy top quality. Also, make sure that you fill the filter oil before installing it. If it is not possible due to orientation, at least put enough oil in the filter to saturate the media. This will help prevent a dry start. Oh, and I'm a fan of synthetic.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

I ran mobile 1 full synthetic in my 5.7 hemi remember that this is a dual timing chain engine with plenty of horse power. Never had an issue with that motor.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com