Synthetic Oil

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Synthetic Oil

Post by MMA10mm »

So, I'm getting close to my first oil change on the new truck, and I'm reading about these "once-a-year" oils, 10,000-miles-between-change-oils, Amzsoil, etc.

I'm wanting the best engine protection I can get, and truck came with synthetic from the factory.

1/4-ton Ram with a 5.7 Hemi engine and the 8-speed transmission. I don't trailer much, but living in the midwest, we go from -20* to 100* every year...

Thoughts on synthetic oils? Which is best and why?
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Synthetic Oil

Post by hardcase »

MMA10mm wrote:So, I'm getting close to my first oil change on the new truck, and I'm reading about these "once-a-year" oils, 10,000-miles-between-change-oils, Amzsoil, etc.

I'm wanting the best engine protection I can get, and truck came with synthetic from the factory.

1/4-ton Ram with a 5.7 Hemi engine and the 8-speed transmission. I don't trailer much, but living in the midwest, we go from -20* to 100* every year...

When I buy new I go with the manufacturers recommendation in your dash pocket book. If I buy used I try to use the same oil that has been used. Generally, I'm not a big fan of 100% synthetic oil.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i drive a LOT of miles - 40k a year or more.

i run full synthetic, but i'm only running like a 6k oil change plan - simply because of the ammount of windshield time i have.

i bought my truck used, ran synthetic high mileage blend in it for a while, and then when i was ready to find all the leaks - went 100% synthetic.

found em all, patched em up, and life is good.

now my oil changes and tire rotations happen on the same cycle.

i wouldnt know about annual oil changes - 10k is only a few months for me so i've never explored these newer super oils.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Any top make syn is good. I use Amsoil for extended service life in my diesel and wife's Wrangler. I do 10k intervals. An oil analysis helps show long term trends if you're that into oil life and condition.

After 10k miles I treat with Lubrilon engine treatment. Some don't beleive in it. I do.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

MMA10mm wrote:So, I'm getting close to my first oil change on the new truck, and I'm reading about these "once-a-year" oils, 10,000-miles-between-change-oils, Amzsoil, etc.

Did you buy new? You should have gotten a few free oil changes. I had the same truck but 2014 until I moved up to a 3/4 ton recently. The 8 speed was great on fuel. Top 2 gears are over drives. If purchased new, stick with what it came with. I change every 5000 miles regardless what mine came with. My 2008 jeep wrangler used full synthetic. Changed oil every second change but did change filter every 5000 miles. If your going to extend to once a year, suggest you do oil samples sent in. Peace of mind. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

Here's a link to a thread on my Tacoma forum where a guy sent his oil in to Blackstone for analysis. They said he was good to go to 10,000 and he was running Mobil 1. I'm thinking about upping mine to 10,000 as I run synthetic.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oil ... 0k.505428/
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

I run plain dino Castrol GTX in my Acura.
Change it every 6000 or so.
Motor at 426,000 miles and runs strong
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

If you're planning on keeping the vehicle for a lifetime then use what ever oil gives ya a warm fuzzy. If like most people and you buy a new one every 4-5 years then use what's cheapest and change it according to manufacturers recommendations. Even the cheapest oils today are much better then years ago.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Steve Urquell wrote:Here's a link to a thread on my Tacoma forum where a guy sent his oil in to Blackstone for analysis. They said he was good to go to 10,000 and he was running Mobil 1. I'm thinking about upping mine to 10,000 as I run synthetic.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oil ... 0k.505428/
Thank you, that was an interesting read!
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

TMD wrote:If you're planning on keeping the vehicle for a lifetime then use what ever oil gives ya a warm fuzzy. If like most people and you buy a new one every 4-5 years then use what's cheapest and change it according to manufacturers recommendations. Even the cheapest oils today are much better then years ago.
Kept my last truck 14 years, so, yes, I'm unusual like that. Also why I'm trying to look at newer oil technology. Want to do what is best for longevity...

Thanks to eeryone else so far, also. I'm still researching.