Of Loss, Mourning and defining the Spirit of Man and Dogs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Of Loss, Mourning and defining the Spirit of Man and Dogs

Post by rebel »

As the title suggests, a fairly heavy subject. From the time we are young we, as humans, experience loss. From the teddy bear accidentally left behind in a hotel room traveling on family vacation to reaching an age in which our own mortality is realized. Everything in between in the years allotted on this earth included jobs, friends, pets, parents and inanimate objects are included in this universal experience.

Loss knows no difference in race, nationality, how rich or poor a man is. Like Death, they are everywhere, at all times.
We as men handle loss generally poorer than the fairer sex. We never seem to give our women we love credit for being a lot more balanced than we are. Simply, most women allow themselves to mourn Loss. Most men try to shrug it off, bottle it and compartmentalize it in a small room in the back of their mind, rarely to be visited.

In my time here, I have felt the loss of many things - some I chose, others out of my hands. I have many friends here that I have been able to share that with and rejoice in that.
Writing these type of things allows me to share how I feel with folks whose company ( albeit digital ) I enjoy. For the last 3 weeks my family and I have been dealing with the downward spiral of my last remaining dog, Pete. It started a few days before our family vacation, remained in my and wife 's minds the whole time. Since our return, a vet visit, antibiotics, feeding supplemental syringe feeding have been the focus on making Pete better. This has been all for naught. He has reached the end of his road.

Normally I would give a small epitaph but that nerve is to raw right now. We decided that he seemed in no pain and comfort care for our friend was all we could do. My wife left for work this morning, crying after taking him down to his shady lot. She spent quite a bit of time there. She made me promise not to put Pete down. Not for his sake, but for mine. I have done this before and it usually takes liquor,
being an insufferable bastard for a month and just plain time to get over it.

I just lost one dog, Belle, a few months back. I openly mourned her and handled it far better than the above mentioned reaction to grief.
I have unconsciously started that process with Pete. I remember how gds, our esteemed moderator, handled the loss of Ruger, his beloved buddy. Talked to him a lot about that and in his own way, passed a bit of how to mourn Loss on to me. Mourning is a part of the process and no one person can categorize how one particular Loss affects you. Whether it be a dog, a parent, or a teddy bear.

Our Spirit is defined by remembering these Losses, honoring the way it made us feel. It doesn't make us less of a man, it makes us stronger. Without Loss we would only know success, happiness and serenity. And then we would take it for granted. We to often take for granted the undying love of a dog.

Tonight I feel sure, I will be preparing the grave for my buddy Pete. As I go off to work I am torn by guilt of leaving him alone. Yet dying is in it's own way a very private and intimate act. Think of me and my family over the next few days as we deal with this loss.

Thanks guys.

Mike
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Of Loss, Mourning and defining the Spirit of Man and Dogs

Post by hardcase »

Sorry about that.

If there is any consolation, dogs don't have any concept of dying like us humans, just pain and suffering. Sometimes I think they caught a break here. Although I wonder about this sometimes as I know our dog dreams.

They truly are "man's best friend".
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Amen
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Truly sorry. Of all the creatures on earth, I think man should consider ourselves lucky that dogs chose us for companions.
Through all of the up and downs in life, it's been a true blessing to have a wagging tail at my side.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Mike, my friend I feel your loss brother. I know the pain. I am praying for you and your family. You don't always think that these four legged friends become such close members of our family, and in turn so close to us. And yet they do.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

So sorry to see this post Mike. From our conversations, you had an idea that it was coming but still does not make it any easier. Just think that his suffering is over and he is better off now. Talk to you soon.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

When I came home, Pete was still with us. What a heart. Hind end would not work but still crawled out partially to meet me. I called my wife, on her way home and told her I had to take care of this. With thunderstorms booming all about, we said goodbye up in the woods behind our home. It's done and he lies next to his buddies Lady and Belle. He is at Peace.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

so sorry mike :cry:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

Feel your loss, man. Had to put down our 9 year old about three months ago. Sucks
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my condolances to you and the family.

whoever decided that dogs only live as long as they do was a real asshole, but they're still worth every minute we can spend with them.

i'll take an extra sip tonight for Pete.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.