latest adventure at the funny farm.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jwb47
Silent But Deadly

latest adventure at the funny farm.

Post by jwb47 »

We have been making soap out of goat milk and I sold some to co-workers for their wifes . One of my buddies ask If we could make some non-scented for hunting , which led to some research and we found out that cedar and balsam scent is a natural smell that attracts deer and mask the human odor .
So here is the first batch of hunter soap it takes 30 days to cure and I already have all of it sold .

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: latest adventure at the funny farm.

Post by John A. »

How did you get the cedar smell in it? Boiled the needles or ????????
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

John A. wrote:How did you get the cedar smell in it? Boiled the needles or ????????

essential oil's
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

If you could come up with a white pine terminal bud scent, that'd put you well into the 1% income bracket. :lol:
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Jim Timber wrote:If you could come up with a white pine terminal bud scent, that'd put you well into the 1% income bracket. :lol:
lol at 3.00 a pop It's gonna take me a while to catch up with trump.
I do have the first batch already sold when it cures.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

:lol: He's way higher than the 1%er's, but having goals is good, right? :mrgreen:

Up here, you have to staple a wax paper "cap" on the terminal bud (the very top of the tree) of white pine or deer will nip them off like candy and either kill or stunt the growth. It's the only reason I haven't planted them as they're a great tree for habitat. I don't want to have to keep track of those trees and cap them annually until they grow up out of reach of the deer.

That said, if you could harness that specific smell and put it in soap, you'd be set. Deer would hunt you. :P
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Very cool! I hope that works great for you!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hahhahaha Doe estrus scent :P

It would be great for those guys who wear face camo paint, ghillie suites, and then rifle hunt from a blind to take a 100yd shot.
To each their own, it's not hurting anyone. That would be your customer base though :D
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Hahhahaha Doe estrus scent :P

It would be great for those guys who wear face camo paint, ghillie suites, and then rifle hunt from a blind to take a 100yd shot.
To each their own, it's not hurting anyone. That would be your customer base though :D
actually bow hunters have been the ones asking for it . I gave some co-workers some scented soap we made to give to their wives to try out and give us feed back and a couple of guys ask if we could make it unscented for hunting and it kind of just went from there.
At this time we are getting right at 100.00 a week after we take out cost selling eggs , goat milk , soap and a little feta cheese .
its just a hobby right now and we are still adding things I just bought 3 dozen quail to start raising . and I have been talking to a bee keeper about starting a hive . In about 2 years I am taking an early retirement and this will provide us with food and added income.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

jwb47 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Hahhahaha Doe estrus scent :P

actually bow hunters have been the ones asking for it . I gave some co-workers some scented soap we made to give to their wives to try out and give us feed back and a couple of guys ask if we could make it unscented for hunting and it kind of just went from there.
At this time we are getting right at 100.00 a week after we take out cost selling eggs , goat milk , soap and a little feta cheese .
its just a hobby right now and we are still adding things I just bought 3 dozen quail to start raising . and I have been talking to a bee keeper about starting a hive . In about 2 years I am taking an early retirement and this will provide us with food and added income.

I'm all for no scent stuff I've been winded in a hunting blind a few times and scent management is the most important thing to manage. I especially see the use for bow hunting.

I was just making a crack on how overboard some folks go like wearing doe estrus rather than just applying it on a near by hanger in a tree. Or I've heard of guys picking up deer droppings and rubbing it all over themselves. Then these same guys go sit down to in an enclosed rifle blind to take a 100yd+ shot.

I don't know how it is in other places (I'm sure it's about the same) but if I'm rifling hunting in a blind I simply try to wear dark colors and scent cover. Most other stuff is overkill.

Bow hunting or stalking, that's a different story :)