jury duty

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Re: jury duty

Post by AR-300 »

I agitated on a jury once. they were trying to railroad a guy on a DWI charge
No evidence was presented, only hear-say
I wouldn't convict and turned the jury by arguing that there was no objective evidence
That was over 20 years ago and I haven't been called back since
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:Thanks to all and especially to bangbang and smustain for trying to get me on a road crew, wearing orange, for contempt :lol:
Well, you said you wanted out of jury duty. :mrgreen:

Seriously, as a juror you have all the power. Shame those in charge don't want you to know that.
NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

I got called awhile back. I didn't like the rather nosy and personal questions that was on the juror questionnaire, so I put "NOYFB" as an answer to each of the questions. I saw no reason why I should give the defense attorney of a possible criminal my personal information. I do not trust the government to keep that information private anyway. I did not get selected.

Too bad though... It was a speeding ticket of a middle aged Indian guy and I would have voted "not guilty" just on general principles. Some of the communities around here are very aggressive in their "revenue enhancement activities" at certain times of the day. I definitely believe in jury nullification. Even if a felon is charged with possession of a firearm or someone is charged with a straw purchase, I'll vote to acquit since the "laws" in these cases are blatantly unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. The mere possession of a *tool* that *could* be used as a weapon is not a crime as far as I'm concerned. It is the action of the person with respect to what he uses the *tool* that might be a crime.

Depending upon the crime, the defense or the prosecution might either like me or hate me. If it is a crime concerning a "law" that I believe to be unconstitutional, the defense would like me and the prosecution would hate me. If the accused is an obvious gangbanger and is charged with drugs or theft, I'm likely to convict even if the prosecution did not really prove its case. In such a case, the defense is going to hate me and the prosecution is going to like me.

It's not that I would actually *mind* being on a jury, but I would prefer for it to be at *my* convenience, not *theirs*. When I'm working on a project, taking time off from work costs me over $500 each day. If I'm between contracts and don't have anything else going on, I wouldn't particularly mind being on the jury though. Performing your "civic duty" is one thing, but having to lose money while doing it sucks.
Old enough to know better... Too old to care...

http://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

And I did get called back for Jury duty. Suppose I could use my disabilities to get out of it but I actually want to do it, so I will try to tough it thru, but I am sure I wont get selected, LOL famous last words, LOL
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

I actually enjoy being called for jury duty. I see it as my chance to do my part, and give a fair shake to somebody. I also, am a fan of jury nullification which most people don't even know exists. Unfortunately, I wasn't picked, and did see a guy get removed for being scared of guns lol.