Palmetto state pa-10 243 winchester conversion, twist rate?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Palmetto state pa-10 243 winchester conversion, twist rate?

Post by pd_3307 »

So i am wanting to convert my PA10 to 243 win but i have a few questions that i hope some have experience with. First, i want to be able to shoot the lightest projectils down in the 58 gr vmax area but i also would like to be able to shoot and stabilize some of the heaviest projectiles for working up loads for longer range. What twist rate would suit me best for this? Also has anybody done this and had cycling problems, feeding problems, anything i should beware of? Secondly, i am curious who y'all have used for barrels and recommendations for barrels? Has anyone had experience with x-caliber barrels or deadshot barrels? If i am missing a question i should have asked just ask it for me please. :P Any and all information/knowledge is greatly appreciated.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Palmetto state pa-10 243 winchester conversion, twist rate?

Post by dellet »

pd_3307 wrote:So i am wanting to convert my PA10 to 243 win but i have a few questions that i hope some have experience with. First, i want to be able to shoot the lightest projectils down in the 58 gr vmax area but i also would like to be able to shoot and stabilize some of the heaviest projectiles for working up loads for longer range. What twist rate would suit me best for this? Also has anybody done this and had cycling problems, feeding problems, anything i should beware of? Secondly, i am curious who y'all have used for barrels and recommendations for barrels? Has anyone had experience with x-caliber barrels or deadshot barrels? If i am missing a question i should have asked just ask it for me please. :P Any and all information/knowledge is greatly appreciated.
I can't speak directly to the twist rate for the cartridge, only what I have read and experienced with the Blackout and very fast for bullet twists.

It does not seem to matter as much down range as possibly thought. More live fire testing has been done that includes multiple target pass through's to judge bullet angle. There does seem to be an added benefit in that a faster spinning bullet seems to maintain a higher BC value, longer. Brian Litz has written quite a bit about it and there seems to be a trend in top shooters ordering faster twist barrels. This would be what I consider more read or shared knowledge.

My own experience has been that a radical shift in twist rate from 1/10-1/6 for the Blackout has made bullet choice a little more critical or difficult. Load workup seems to take more effort, it might be my learning curve, but comparable results can be achieved. This is with 150-175 grain bullets ran at close to max velocities. Bullets like a 110 Vmax at 2800 fps also performed comparable in both a 1/10 and 1/6. I have not been able to test this extensively past 200 yards, in theory problem with over spin won't show up until 500 yards unless the bullet comes apart in the first 50..

With subs and both long and short bullets I have noticed no difference.

From what I have experienced and read over the last couple years I would tend toward slightly faster twist rate for the longest bullet I would shoot, and not worry about the shorter ones.

As for X-caliber, I can not recommend them highly enough. In the last two years or so, I have had probably five barrels done. Each has been able to give me sub MOA results. They are the ones who have indulged my experiment with twist rates and have made every barrel exactly as ordered down to gas port size.

It would be worth a call or email to Dustin and ask any question you might have.

http://www.x-caliber.net/
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

1 in 8 will stabilize the heaviest 6mm bullet out there. 105 and 107 gr. A 1 in 9.25 twist will stabilize 100 gr and lower.
Remington and Savage both have this twist in stock barrels. I would personally go 1 in 8 but 1 in 9 would do the job with the majority of 6mm bullets.
+2 on the X caliber barrels. I have one in 6mm and love it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Thanks for the insight dellet and rebel. I observed similar results on my 1:7 twist on my blackout barrels as far as shooting lighter faster bullets and they didnt seem to have any issues. I just figured ask alot of questions because i am venturing into something not so common. And i will definitely be looking into x caliber barrels. The prices seemed really good to me.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

There may not be such thing as an "all in one" twist rate. I don't know about 243 either, but I've had experience with twist rate and 223 and 308. My 1:9 223 shoots 55g very well, but is not great with 62 and 68g. 1:7 223 does 68 and 62g great, but 55g shoot like crap in it. I have a 1:8 colt 223 that does neither very well. I had a 1:12 308 that would shoot 155 palma match into one hole, but shot 168 and 175 like crap. My 1:10 308 does terrific with 175g, but nothing lighter.

If it were me, I'd pick the fast twist. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and it will work well for everything.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Is there any benefit in the different groove choices 3,5,6, 5r?