Trimming 556 cases

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

iflywhirlybirds

Trimming 556 cases

Post by iflywhirlybirds »

Greetings!

I am new to the forum and I had a quick question about trimming cases. I recently purchased the ZEP cutting jig for the harbor freight mini chop saw and it seems like a nice peice of kit. However, I when I cut 556/223 brass down to spec I can never get it cut straight, its always about 3 thou off on either side but still within spec. Is this normal for this jig? I have tried shimming it adjusting it every which way but it still wont cut straight. I have noticed a bit of play in the ID of the jig so I am thinking this is whats getting me. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks!
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trimming 556 cases

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...FWIW, I found that how fast I actuate the the blades handle directly affects the cut, too fast and the blade may cant and start the cut at an angle. I also check the blade's retention nut before starting a session....just bcuz. I trim just a little longer than my desired OAL and let the trim die even it out.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

The time spent trying to get a perfect cut is better spent on the trimmer. Cut long, trim to length.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Same here, mine all come out cut at an angle, more than .003 for sure. Trimming will bring them back to square. Chamfer before and after you trim, that HF saw leaves a lot of mooshed up metal in the neck.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I cannot remember my jigs name. Its my second one. I bought a cheapo and paid for it with ruined cases... This new one uses a ball bearing on a spring to position the case and is pushed out with next case to cut. I also have a HF saw.

Mine is also slightly out of square. But as mentioned makes no difference as I final trim them anyhow.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

bangbangping wrote:The time spent trying to get a perfect cut is better spent on the trimmer. Cut long, trim to length.
Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!! Works every time. :P
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

In case it hasn't sunk in yet... Cut long and trim to length! :mrgreen:

When I was cutting cases, I just used an angle grinder held in my bench vise to lop off the necks behind the shoulder. It wasn't even remotely square, but it let me get down to where I could run a large button in the un-sized brass to trim true and to length. Then I'd size them with a button and all was well with a little chamfer/debur. Took a little trial and error to get the pre-formed OAL right, but it worked out pretty good.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices