I've got an awful itch... should I give in?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

I've got an awful itch... should I give in?

Post by thisguysguns »

Guys, I have this awful itch to build a 'Why the hell not?' gun...

We'll start here:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa ... 93198.html

Then, buy the proprietary upper and bolt carrier, swap the barrel for a 300 Blackout barrel, and run the gun with 5.56 Galil Mags.

To top it off, I want to put one of these ugly bastards on there:

http://store.devildogconcepts.com/products/hard-charger

And if I get squirrely, I might blaspheme further and convert it to a piston system.

It would be one hodgepodge of a bastard child.

This is quite literally an unnecessary waste of money. I mean, it really has no real purpose... but I wanna do it. I kind of want one gun in my life that while I'm at the range, people look at it and go 'Ew, what is THAT?' I believe this would do it.

Has anyone got any experience using one of these AR that takes AK mags contraptions? I'm curious as to how functional they actually are.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: I've got an awful itch... should I give in?

Post by strobro32 »

There is no way that could work.

ygolohcysp
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Rumor mill says the piston system would be more trouble than it's worth.

Galil mags? Don't know what those are. What about AK-74 mags? Similar case taper. Arsenal has 5.56 AKs as well, must be some sort of mags for those.

Will they latch and function? Dunno. Worst case, put the 7.62 barrel back on. Stand by, I have 74 and 47 mags right behind me.

"Checking"

74 mags are a hair narrower, and there are some angular and curvature differences, but...

"Checking"

Nope, no way a Bulgy 47 mag will fit into a Nodak 74 receiver. Same goes the other way, maybe with some filing and whacking with a hammer, couldn't get a 74 mag into the Arsenal 47, too long.

Anyway, other than the pistol system, I say do it, make it work, prove this other guy wrong. Do it quick though, you-know-who is coming for your guns on Nov 9.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

DoubleJ wrote:Rumor mill says the piston system would be more trouble than it's worth.

Galil mags? Don't know what those are. What about AK-74 mags? Similar case taper. Arsenal has 5.56 AKs as well, must be some sort of mags for those.

Will they latch and function? Dunno. Worst case, put the 7.62 barrel back on. Stand by, I have 74 and 47 mags right behind me.

"Checking"

74 mags are a hair narrower, and there are some angular and curvature differences, but...

"Checking"

Nope, no way a Bulgy 47 mag will fit into a Nodak 74 receiver. Same goes the other way, maybe with some filing and whacking with a hammer, couldn't get a 74 mag into the Arsenal 47, too long.

Anyway, other than the pistol system, I say do it, make it work, prove this other guy wrong. Do it quick though, you-know-who is coming for your guns on Nov 9.
Just ordered the lower... CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE.

The Israeli Galil is the Hebrew Hammer. The improved AK variant that the Israeli military used for a long time. Their 5.56 variant uses magazines of the same lip and tab geometry as AK-47 7.62x39 magazines. A buddy of mine uses 5.56 Galil mags in his 5.56 Saiga AK and they work beautifully.

The lip and tab geometry of the AK-74 magazine is WAAAY different than the AK-47. The Russians purposely changed the magazine geometry so a derpy Ivan couldn't try to shove a 7.62x39 magazine into an AK74.

I have already built a fully functional piston driven 300 blackout, and I know exactly what to do to build another one. My only concern is feeding the 300 blackout cartridge from the Galil Mag.

And if worst comes to worst, I'll throw the 7.62x39 barrel back on it and Derka Derka all day long.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

strobro32 wrote:There is no way that could work.

ygolohcysp
Hey, don't be using that hippy jedi mind magic on me. :lol:
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Saiga 5.56 AK is probably nearly identical to a Bulgy, so I bet those are the mags Arsenal is using. Hell, they probably sell both flavors, or did until Oh-Blah-Blah put sanctions on mother russia.

74 and 47 mags looks close, and my American brain says AKs are sloppy and will feed 9mm rounds from a 10/22 mag and still function, but you're correct, it's a no-go. I bet if I was willing to trash my 47s receiver I could figure out a way to jam a 74 mag in there, but I bought that Arsenal during the panic.

I still vote for DI, it's simple.

Keep us updated, I want to know how it goes. That was selfish of me. Please keep us updated. How's that for manners?

thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

Gentlemen, what have I done?!

What you see:
PSA KS47 Lower
Galil .223 Magazine (HEAVILY MODIFIED)
PISTON DRIVEN 300 Blackout upper

No side charging handle yet. That's $160 I don't have at the moment.

It feeds and the bolt is 100% unhindered by the magazine. It's perfection... well, it would be perfection if I could get the magazine out of the gun without having to take the upper and lower apart... :lol:

It turns out that .223 Galil Mags have the EXACT same feed lip size and shape as an AR-15 magazine, but they have a 1/16" wrap spot welded around the top of the magazine so they fit snug in an AK style magazine well. If you cut off the wrap, it's just like an AR-15 mag up top! Who would have thought?

I'm going to try and shoot it in the next week. I'll post video when I do.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Nice!

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

:mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

:shock:
thisguysguns wrote:Gentlemen, what have I done?!

What you see:
PSA KS47 Lower
Galil .223 Magazine (HEAVILY MODIFIED)
PISTON DRIVEN 300 Blackout upper

No side charging handle yet. That's $160 I don't have at the moment.

It feeds and the bolt is 100% unhindered by the magazine. It's perfection... well, it would be perfection if I could get the magazine out of the gun without having to take the upper and lower apart... :lol:

It turns out that .223 Galil Mags have the EXACT same feed lip size and shape as an AR-15 magazine, but they have a 1/16" wrap spot welded around the top of the magazine so they fit snug in an AK style magazine well. If you cut off the wrap, it's just like an AR-15 mag up top! Who would have thought?

I'm going to try and shoot it in the next week. I'll post video when I do.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: any updates on the thing.....? :?: :?: :?: :?: