Ruger American .300blk nightmare

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DU SOUTH

Ruger American .300blk nightmare

Post by DU SOUTH »

I've finally decided to post my experience with this rifle here.

I bought brand new the ruger american in 300 blk. On the first outing the gun FTFire on 8 out of 20-30rounds. Leaving light dimples in the primers. This was with 3 types of ammo and 3 different bullet weights and manufacturers. Then gun was then sent back to ruger.

The gun was replaced with a new firearm of which I had to have shipped to an FFL due to serial numbers and it being a new firearm. I picked up the gun with high hopes. The next day I went to the range. 5 FTFires out of 20. I was furious at this point. 3 different ammo types again.

Thinking the rifle needed to be shot more I went back the following day and shot 20 more tthrough the gun with 3more FTF.

The gun was returned to ruger with Lot numbers for the 3 brands of ammo.

I received the gun now for the 3rd time. This time they replaced the barrel, extractor, and magazine??? Guess what! 4FTFires now and 13 FTEject. I can't believe my luck with this gun. I've given ruger all the time in the world and this gun is just a pile of crap.

I will contact ruger again Monday for a 4th time to discuss the issues. The ruger american has the following price tag now-

1st gun $425 and change.
$10 range fee.
$30 in ammo
$20Package and drive to FedEx

2Nd gun $25 ffl transfer charge
$30 in gas
$20 range fee
$40 in ammo
$20 package and drive to Fedex

2nd gun 3rd time out
$10 range fee
$40 in ammo

I'm at $670 and I'm yet to have a working rifle. Ruger has been quick on turn around but who cares when you get junk back. I've had to rig down the scope every time requiring a new zero. This has been the worst experience of my life with a firearm.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American .300blk nightmare

Post by dellet »

Remington and Barnes both have put out ammo with shoulders set at the wrong length. S&B has also. There are a couple of threads that are pages long on the subject.

Hand loaders have never had an issue.

Here's one to get you started

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=96330&hilit=Ruger+ftf
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Had a couple of light strikes with Remington ammo when I first got mine, thankfully that crap they call ammo was free to me. Switched to my hand loads and several hundred rounds since without a single issue.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You would think ruger would have been able to figure out a headspace problem since you provided ammo lots to them. I can say I've yet to have a problem with mine but it has not been feed any factory ammo.

Do you have any of that factory ammo left?
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Seems like another one post wonder who just came on here to bitch, whine, and bad mouth Ruger.
After rereading his post I'm tossing the BullShit flag

EDIT: Just found this over on Rugerforum.net

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action ... tmare.html
DU SOUTH

Post by DU SOUTH »

This coming from a guy that obviously can't read. Thanks though. BS flag. First down.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

So tell us something. Did you bother to ask Ruger why ammo they tried to test fire it?

And for the one post wonder comment, I stand by it. Most people sign up to introduce themselves looking to learn and contribute. One post wonders sign up and 1st post is to bitch and see reactions. Stumbled on your duplicate post over on Ruger forum by accident but I'm sure if I looked hard enough there's probably more on other forums where you weren't a member until this as well
Last edited by TMD on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

From Barnes/Remington

What it should be

Need about .025" more firing pin to set that one off, or a chamber cut so short that it would be dangerous. Ruger had some issues, but until you post a measurement of the ammo that failed, I'll give Ruger a pass. If you read the thread I linked earlier you could of added Hornady to the list of potential problems.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

Well, it sucks to hear about some one getting a bad gun, but I have had the opposite experience with my RARR in 300 BLK and .308 Win. I went out today with my dad who is almost 70, he couldn't miss with my 300 BLK. Not only did he love that there was very little recoil, but he hit his tiny water container at 156 yards. My gun seems to really like the 125 Speer TNT and 110 Nosler Varmaggetons. This is all 5.56 converted brass, my Ruger in .308 is the Predator model(threaded) it shoots just as good as my RARR in 300 BLK. For the price of these Rugers you just can't beat them. Try some different ammo? This was my second time shooting this gun and have made four people a believer out of this rifle. Good luck with yours.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

It sucks to buy a new gun and not be able to use it . I had a horrible experience with alexander arms so I understand your aggrevation . stay cool and make them sort it out or give you a refund then buy something different . hang around and get to know some people its a pretty good crowd .