First 1911

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

First 1911

Post by steven11b »

I have been putting in alot of hard work on my house after work and on weekends in preparation to sell it and make some profit. Looks like the hard work is about to pay off as my house is pending sale.

To reward myself I have decided to buy a threaded Ruger 22/45 for my dead air mask HD .22 supressor and a threaded barrel 1911 to host my. 45 ospery. I have looked at 1911's for years just haven't ever bought one. With that said I want a quality gun and have my eyes set on one of these 3:
Kimber desert warrior tfs
Kimber TLE/RL II Tfs
Remington r1 enhanced TB

Anyone used one of these, or have any negatives? The remington is cheaper then the other 2, looks good and has good features. I also really like the desert warrior and have been eyeing it for a few years. And I figured the TLE was a compromise of both.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Re: First 1911

Post by Guest762 »

I have a Kimber and they are nice guns and didn't think it would get any better until I got a FNX tactical. 15 round mags in 45. Yes it's big and heavy but when I put my osprey on anything it's not small. The trigger isn't as good as a 1911 can be but its not bad and being big and heavy just makes it that much better. Then with the RMR IS JUST frigid awesome. 1200 rounds through it so far and barley a hiccup. 50 yard shots on 8" steel is no problem. As a matter of fact that is what my RMR is sighted in for.
As for the Remington ,I wouldn't buy a 1911 with a external ejector. I don't know why but I just won't.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....been a 1911 owner/user for decades and they are still my preferred pistol. I personally would stick with a brand that is true to the original John Browning design, it's been proven for reliability for ages :P and parts availability/interchange is probably the highest. The 1911 is also one of the easiest pistols to breakdown for cleaning/repairs, and fewer, less fragile parts than many of todays pistols.

Ammo availability or component availability for reloading is also very high, with a vast diversity of powders that can be used for loading 45ACP. The average speeds of the round (850-1000 FPS) also lends itself to some really quiet suppressed shooting without having to acquire/load specialized ammo, basically the same rounds you would use in non-suppressed mode.

If high mag capacity is high on your priority list, double stack frames are available from Caspian Arms, STI to mention a few.

FWIW, in my local club a couple of shooters have brought in some Rock Island Armory 1911's in multiple calibers and I have to admit, they have really surprised me with their performance, reliability and appearances, especially considering the costs. I wouldn't turn one down and I'm sure my others wouldn't mind the company :mrgreen:
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Re: First 1911: update 22/45 pics

Post by steven11b »

Well I would like an fnx tactical .45 but I am really just looking for a 1911 specifically. I didn't know the Remington had an external ejector, I'll have to look into that more. I have shot a kimber and Dan Wesson 1911 and I could really tell the difference in the feel vs. The cheaper ones I have shot. I have kind of narrowed it down to those 3 I listed just can't decide if I the remington would be anywhere close to the 2 kimber I listed. Another reason I listed those 3 because they come with a threaded barrel.
Last edited by steven11b on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

steven11b wrote:Well I would like an fnx tactical .45 but I am really just looking for a 1911 specifically. I didn't know the Remington had an external ejector, I'll have to look into that more. I have shot a kimber and Dan Wesson 1911 and I could really tell the difference in the feel vs. The cheaper ones I have shot. I have kind of narrowed it down to those 3 I listed just can't decide if I the remington would be anywhere close to the 2 kimber I listed. Another reason I listed those 3 because they come with a threaded barrel.
I'm wrong it doesn't have a external ejector. You just have to look at the features of each and see where the savings come from. Most of the time it comes from elimating checkering,non tritium sights and grip material. I've had a Springfield armory 1911 that shot just as well as my Kimber it just didn't have all the features. It was only $500 though.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

You should just delve deep into your inner masochist and build your own. Nothing says, "I hate myself," like having to endlessly file, hone, and hand lap a slide and frame together, only to find out the slide is out of spec and the ejector doesn't fit right. Then you find out that triggers ALSO have to be fitted, and you don't have the little files and stones needed to get a square trigger path inside the gun. But, after a few weeks of blood, blisters, and tears, you finally get a quality 1911 that you have personally hand fitted to your specifications. It's a visceral feeling to know that you built a quality weapon for $500 more than what you would have paid for one off of the shelf. :lol:

Aside from that, Kimber has a base model Custom II out for about $729 that is a fine gun. I'll have to agree with others in this thread that Springfield makes a similarly excellent 1911 at a lower price than the Kimber; it just doesn't have the Schwartz safety like a Kimber (not necessarily a bad thing).
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

steven11b wrote:I have been putting in alot of hard work on my house after work and on weekends in preparation to sell it and make some profit. Looks like the hard work is about to pay off as my house is pending sale.

To reward myself I have decided to buy a threaded Ruger 22/45 for my dead air mask HD .22 supressor and a threaded barrel 1911 to host my. 45 ospery. I have looked at 1911's for years just haven't ever bought one. With that said I want a quality gun and have my eyes set on one of these 3:
Kimber desert warrior tfs
Kimber TLE/RL II Tfs
Remington r1 enhanced TB

Anyone used one of these, or have any negatives? The remington is cheaper then the other 2, looks good and has good features. I also really like the desert warrior and have been eyeing it for a few years. And I figured the TLE was a compromise of both.
I have handled all of those firearms, and I've owned the Custom TLE II. I personally would skip the RL version (because I'm a minimalist), but if that is something you want, it's an excellent choice. I think the Desert Warrior is almost identical to the TLE/RL II, except that it has a flared mag well extension (which limits you to magazines with extended base plates - if you use Wilson Combat mags, this won't be an issue). If I were you, I'd avoid the Remington at all costs; the triggers are awful.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Just curious, not part of your question:
How did you decide on the 22/45? Have you considered a .22 conversion kit for the 1911? You may end up paying a little more, but at a minimum it will save you an hour trying remember how to disassemble the 22/45 each time you clean it. :lol: It also will give you the exact same grip/trigger experience because it is the same. At least until you decide that you need another 1911 lower for your extra upper.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

bangbangping wrote:Just curious, not part of your question:
How did you decide on the 22/45? Have you considered a .22 conversion kit for the 1911? You may end up paying a little more, but at a minimum it will save you an hour trying remember how to disassemble the 22/45 each time you clean it. :lol: It also will give you the exact same grip/trigger experience because it is the same. At least until you decide that you need another 1911 lower for your extra upper.
No real reason on the 22/45 but the reliability of them and the lite models save weight, i am into minimalist hiking/camping, kayaking and other recreational activities when weight matters alot.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I'll look into the springfields do they offer factory threaded models?