New Barrel or New Handgaurd? - For my suppressed SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

blueeyephil

New Barrel or New Handgaurd? - For my suppressed SBR

Post by blueeyephil »

Ok, currently I have a SBR with 8" CMMG barrel and UTG Pro 9" rail. I like the length and size of the rail but have a Liberty Mystic X on order and it's not going to fit in that rail. So, I'm trying to decide what to do. Keep the rail and go with a 10" barrel, or get a new rail. I don't know that 2" of barrel is going to make much difference in handling but will give just a bit more velocity for supers I guess. But my plan is to shoot subs and the Lee C312-155-R2 cast bullets 90% of the time for plinking. I expect the 155 to run in the 1700 fps range so the extra barrel length isn't a help for them. I might hog/deer hunt with supers some but I'm not going to try to stretch the 300 blk to crazy distances. 200 yrds at most. If I can't get closer it will not be my day. Also, I like the looks of a suppressor under the rail.

You can see that I didn't break the bank on the barrel or rail. And I don't intend to on what I buy to replace what I already have.
So, based on what I said, what would you do? Finding a barrel isn't that hard, a 10" would work and there are a couple of brands that should work when I find them in stock. And that should be doable by the time I get the suppressor out of jail. Looking for a good workable rail is a bit harder to find. So, what say you?
elCapitan
Silent Operator

Re: New Barrel or New Handgaurd? - For my suppressed SBR

Post by elCapitan »

Unless I was upgrading significantly in barrel quality (not saying you need to), I'd probably go with the handguard.

I'd be asking myself, would I rather replace a complicated, functionally critical part, with very tight tolerances? Or a simple, more stylistic/preference part with very few tolerances?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I may be wrong but if the rifle is ATF stamped as a SBR I do not think you can change the length of the barrel without approval. You had to list the OAL rifle length on your application. Someone will chime in and let you know for sure. If you intend to shoot unsuppressed then you will need a shorter rail.
Last edited by smustian on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

change the handguard. you know the gun runs - so if it aint broke no need to fix it.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Photoguy67

Post by Photoguy67 »

smustian wrote:I may be wrong but if the rifle is ATF stamped as a SBR I do not think you can change the length of the barrel without approval. You had to list the OAL rifle length on your application. Someone will chime in and let you know for sure. If you intend to shoot unsuppressed then you will need a shorter rail.
As long as it is registered, you can change the barrel length and or caliber as much as you want, only you have to be able to return it to the original listed caliber and barrel length. So you can change the barrel but if you change it to 10" you have to retain the listed barrel length or notify the ATF of a permanent change. I would just change the handguards.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

elCapitan wrote:Unless I was upgrading significantly in barrel quality (not saying you need to), I'd probably go with the handguard.

I'd be asking myself, would I rather replace a complicated, functionally critical part, with very tight tolerances? Or a simple, more stylistic/preference part with very few tolerances?

^ This.

Also you may want to rethink your plan for shooting cast bullets through you new can. That will fill it full of lead.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Photoguy67 wrote:
smustian wrote:I may be wrong but if the rifle is ATF stamped as a SBR I do not think you can change the length of the barrel without approval. You had to list the OAL rifle length on your application. Someone will chime in and let you know for sure. If you intend to shoot unsuppressed then you will need a shorter rail.
As long as it is registered, you can change the barrel length and or caliber as much as you want, only you have to be able to return it to the original listed caliber and barrel length. So you can change the barrel but if you change it to 10" you have to retain the listed barrel length or notify the ATF of a permanent change. I would just change the handguards.
There is NO LAW REQUIRING the notification of ATF of *ANY* reconfiguration of an NFA Item.

From the ATF's OWN FAQ:

ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

There is no form to inform ATF of a configuration change.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

You are...
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

orbitup wrote:
elCapitan wrote:Unless I was upgrading significantly in barrel quality (not saying you need to), I'd probably go with the handguard.

^ This.

Also you may want to rethink your plan for shooting cast bullets through you new can. That will fill it full of lead.
The Mystic X can be taken apart to clean...
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

dtom29 wrote:
You are...
Thank you for pointing out what others have already corrected. At least I started my statement with doubt, as I was not sure but was partially right. Always good to have a smart ass who thinks they know it all and feel they need to comment on the board. You will fit in well with the others that have come and gone due to having attitudes like yours.