Stock Delima for a new build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

Stock Delima for a new build

Post by realtreehunter »

I need a stock for a new build. I'm building a 338 RUM with a 30" barrel that will finish out at .750. Sendero profile btw. This build will be on a 700 action.

I'm having a tough time because the last time I bought an aftermarket stock the length from the trigger to the pistol "grip" was to long and I feel like I cant reach the trigger. Remington stocks feel perfect to me so I would like to have one similar in length to theirs in just behind the trigger. I've considered the McMillan M40 clone from Red Hawk Rifles but really don't have the funds to drop $550 on the stock. I have also considered the Bell and Carson Varmint. I think (Please chime in on this if I'm wrong) that is the stock Remington puts on their 700 Long Range. I like the looks, the block, and the brand, but the stock that feels too long is a B&C Alaskan TI, so I'm sort of afraid that B&C makes all their stocks that same way.

Any input on the stocks above or other stock suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know I want something that is a little wider up front. Also, I'm not a chassis guy, their sexy on other folks rifles but I'm really not into owning one right now.
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Stock Delima for a new build

Post by longranger »

Save your $ and have Manners or HS Precision make one to your spec's.Otherwise you are stuck with off the shelf and modifying or one of those cage looking things. Stocky's Stocks might have something in their line up that would be suitable.
realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by realtreehunter »

I didn't realize that there were any companies out there that would do that. I asked boyds and that was a no go. I will check into it, thanks.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

Sometimes Google's not much help if you don't know the proper terminology. Try searching custom "length of pull" stocks and I'm sure you'll see a lot of offerings.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Richards Microfit stocks?
realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by realtreehunter »

Thanks guys, will be giving that a try, got to look at HS's site briefly today but didn't see anything yet about custom stuff. will look again when I get another minute.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

You say you like Remington stocks and you have a Sendero profile barrel? Why not go with the HS Precision one Remington uses? I prefer the original Sendero stock and not the Sendero II but that's just me. The II has twin swivel studs tho. I have one of the Senderos from the first year when they weren't offered in SS. The butt pad on my rifle doesn't even say Remington. It says HS Precision.