Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Colt possibly going under

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Colt couldn't even make money during the great panic. Their only hope is to be purchased by someone that knows how to make money.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The Colt brand has been in a steady decline for many years.

IMO, they are a classic example of a company growing to the point where they become out of touch with their customer base.
With large government contracts in their pocket, they began to adopt a perspective of the "Non Contract" customer that rivals H&K.

I think a good example of a large company that has maintained an excellent perspective would be FNH USA.
Hell, they are even in the process of making civilian legal versions of the M249, M16, & M4.
That is what it looks like when a company is in touch with the market.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

They sat on their laurels getting fat and lazy on Govt contracts, while ignoring R&D and the commercial market demands. When was the last time Colt came up with an original idea?
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
ig720
Silent Operator

Post by ig720 »

Nothing lasts forever.... RIP Colt
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I've never understood the allure of a low bid government contractor.

Now for my conspiracy theory. Recently Stag Arms was raided by the feds for unserialized lowers. Stags parent company is CMT who happens to be the major supplier of ar parts for Colt. Coincidence... Maybe, maybe not.
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

Dr.Phil wrote:The Colt brand has been in a steady decline for many years.

IMO, they are a classic example of a company growing to the point where they become out of touch with their customer base.
With large government contracts in their pocket, they began to adopt a perspective of the "Non Contract" customer that rivals H&K.

I think a good example of a large company that has maintained an excellent perspective would be FNH USA.
Hell, they are even in the process of making civilian legal versions of the M249, M16, & M4.
That is what it looks like when a company is in touch with the market.
definitely, love FN. hate to see H&K in the same boat as Colt. i really like H&K but with the G36 debacle, looks like it may be the same road for them.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

TMD wrote:I've never understood the allure of a low bid government contractor.

Now for my conspiracy theory. Recently Stag Arms was raided by the feds for unserialized lowers. Stags parent company is CMT who happens to be the major supplier of ar parts for Colt. Coincidence... Maybe, maybe not.

So this means we can expect a run on colt firearms at the local gun shops ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seems to me that whenever a product is soon to be "no longer available" or possibly banned, there is a huge increase in sales of that item :?: :?: :?: :?:

Lines forming for colts, soon to be sold at a huge margin... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

Colt has been swirling the bowl for a few decades now. It's time they went under. You can't rest on your laurels for long.

- Their Quality Control has been awful. I've had two pistols of theirs that both needed work even though they were brand new.

- They've diluted their brand by using it on cheap knives and imported ammo. When Harley-Davidson markets a pocketknife, they talk to Benchmade and sell it for $100. Colt puts their name and logo on two-dollar flea market junk and pretends that it's good.

- What was their most recent new product? Do they have any new products? Besides just an embroidered gun case? I guess they didn't see all those Glocks being sold. Or the switch to Beretta pistols by the military. Sure, a 1911 is great, but how many do they sell? Are any police still carrying a 1911? It can't be more than a few at this point. How about a pocket pistol for the expanding CCW crowd? Just one, and it's single action. Big-bore hunting revolver? Nope. DA auto? Nope again.

- Do they even market to civilians any more? The AR market is dominated by everyone except Colt. Their QC on AR's is awful, too. And you won't make much by being a small player at the low end of the market. It's over-supplied already.

Natural selection applies in the business world, too.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

DutchV wrote:Colt has been swirling the bowl for a few decades now. It's time they went under. You can't rest on your laurels for long.

- Their Quality Control has been awful. I've had two pistols of theirs that both needed work even though they were brand new.

- They've diluted their brand by using it on cheap knives and imported ammo. When Harley-Davidson markets a pocketknife, they talk to Benchmade and sell it for $100. Colt puts their name and logo on two-dollar flea market junk and pretends that it's good.

- What was their most recent new product? Do they have any new products? Besides just an embroidered gun case? I guess they didn't see all those Glocks being sold. Or the switch to Beretta pistols by the military. Sure, a 1911 is great, but how many do they sell? Are any police still carrying a 1911? It can't be more than a few at this point. How about a pocket pistol for the expanding CCW crowd? Just one, and it's single action. Big-bore hunting revolver? Nope. DA auto? Nope again.

- Do they even market to civilians any more? The AR market is dominated by everyone except Colt. Their QC on AR's is awful, too. And you won't make much by being a small player at the low end of the market. It's over-supplied already.

Natural selection applies in the business world, too.
They are making firearms for civilians again. A few years ago they re-intoduced the small 380's that they made back in the 80's, but with a polymer frame. They also teamed up Walther to produce the .22 AR rifle. I have 4 of their little 380's made back in the 80's/90's. Not sure how the quality is now, but I love my little Mustang, Nightlite and Pocketlights!!!

THE NEW POLYMER 380
Last edited by VENT625 on Thu May 21, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."