am i the only one who thinks hollow points and calibers are over rated?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

youngblood

Re: am i the only one who thinks hollow points and calibers are over rated?

Post by youngblood »

Sigh, I think I will skip this rabbit hole.
Yes, you are alone feeling this unless you go to arfcom.
Former USAF
NRA Patron Member
turboface20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by turboface20 »

Good god. Like I have the Hornady critical defense stuff for the 9mm but I wouldn't think anything about having ball ammo. Is all I'm trying to say. I have 17 rounds of 9mm. Or 28 of 5.56 and people think those two cartridges are less than enough? I'm pretty sure that it'll be alright to use good ole fmj.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

turboface20 wrote:pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people.. i feel totally fine with a .22 handgun? much less an "underpowered 9mm"

this guy that owns a gun store told me that .380 is a better self defense round than 9mm? uh... ok? and he also told me "id definately get some hollow points for that 9mm if you actually wanna stop someone" while i feel hollow points ~can~ be better i really think people tend to forget... it's a gun!!!!
be it my 1911 .45 or my ruger mk3 .22 i never really feel underpowered with any of the calibers.. maybe i just dont get it..
Maybe shouldn't have used the .177 in the first sentence. Some of us are easily distracted by shiny objects and cookies.
I see what your saying and as rebel went around the world to say is that if there's better bullets then why not use em. You just never know,crackhead might try and run you over and you have to shoot him through the windshield.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Guest762 wrote:
turboface20 wrote:pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people.. i feel totally fine with a .22 handgun? much less an "underpowered 9mm"

this guy that owns a gun store told me that .380 is a better self defense round than 9mm? uh... ok? and he also told me "id definately get some hollow points for that 9mm if you actually wanna stop someone" while i feel hollow points ~can~ be better i really think people tend to forget... it's a gun!!!!
be it my 1911 .45 or my ruger mk3 .22 i never really feel underpowered with any of the calibers.. maybe i just dont get it..
Maybe shouldn't have used the .177 in the first sentence. Some of us are easily distracted by shiny objects and cookies.
I see what your saying and as rebel went around the world to say is that if there's better bullets then why not use em. You just never know,crackhead might try and run you over and you have to shoot him through the windshield.
I will be waiting patiently for your next rant Guest :lol: Just trying to impart knowledge and not be to awful rough. I have been accused of that to. Damned if I do, damned if I don't...... :P
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

rebel wrote:
Guest762 wrote:

I will be waiting patiently for your next rant Guest :lol: Just trying to impart knowledge and not be to awful rough. I have been accused of that to. Damned if I do, damned if I don't...... :P
I was just mentioning it. Reminded me of Boyd crowder on justified. :lol:
I know your just trying not to come off as a ...... Ruffian.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

turboface20 wrote:pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people...
So has malaria, but a mosquito isn't a very good self defense weapon.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

OK...I've had enough to drink to address this now.

Why take out a bad guy when you can just piss him off instead?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

That right there says to me that what he said is 1% truth and 99% BULLSH*T. Penetration and expansion are what makes a good self defense round. You want something that penetrates at least 12" and expands. That takes velocity and bullet weight. 9mm is the smallest caliber that will do that except maybe a 38 Special with 158g +P ammo or the specially designed self defense rounds. Below 9mm there is just not enough velocity and bullet weight to get the job done IMO. Another factor is follow up shot speed. 9mm allows more people to control the recoil so they are back on target faster for follow up shots.
BlkBeard
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlkBeard »

TreeTopFlier wrote:A lot of goats died so we could have this info to make better choices...sorry does not include pellet gun info.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

TreeTopFlier, I lost the link to that a while back, Thanks !

OP: Please note the highest one shot stop % belongs to the .40 S&W and the .357 Mag, factor in the variables and that alone should then answer your initial questions accurately.

There are many reasons why I carry .40's , but that is only one of them .... :roll:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: In Dog Beers....... I've Only Had One
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

bangbangping wrote:
So has malaria, but a mosquito isn't a very good self defense weapon.
BOOM!

I'm stealing this for the next caliber war, just so you know...