am i the only one who thinks hollow points and calibers are over rated?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

turboface20
Senior Silent Operator

am i the only one who thinks hollow points and calibers are over rated?

Post by turboface20 »

pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people.. i feel totally fine with a .22 handgun? much less an "underpowered 9mm"

this guy that owns a gun store told me that .380 is a better self defense round than 9mm? uh... ok? and he also told me "id definately get some hollow points for that 9mm if you actually wanna stop someone" while i feel hollow points ~can~ be better i really think people tend to forget... it's a gun!!!!
be it my 1911 .45 or my ruger mk3 .22 i never really feel underpowered with any of the calibers.. maybe i just dont get it..
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Re: am i the only one who thinks hollow points and calibers are over rated?

Post by Ariac »

I hope this is a serious question, so I am going to treat it as such.

I just see it as a matter of setting yourself up for success. Why would you choose to be under gunned if there is not a good reason to be. Sure ball ammo has killed plenty of people, but all scientific tests point to the fact that hollow points are more effective. As such, I carry 124 +p gold dot everyday. I would use ball if that is all I have, but it's not so I use better.

As for the caliber, it comes down to kinetic energy and trauma on target. Sure a .22, or a pellet gun can do the job. But not nearly as well or easily as something more substantial. Granted in my calculations there are also other factors to consider when picking a self defense weapon. Capacity, recoil, cost, etc.. As such I carry a CZ p-01, and it far surpasses my expectations. I could carry my xd in 460 rowland, but that would give up to much in recoil and capacity for example (plus not a fan of striker guns for sd). Also, when I need something more concealable I carry a p-64 in 9mm makarov. It was cheap ($200), and gives adequate albeit less then i prefer firepower.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Gonna beat this dead horse again?? :lol:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Yep you are the only one.

does that help?
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BlkBeard
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlkBeard »

turboface20 wrote:pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people.. i feel totally fine with a .22 handgun? much less an "underpowered 9mm"

this guy that owns a gun store told me that .380 is a better self defense round than 9mm? uh... ok? and he also told me "id definately get some hollow points for that 9mm if you actually wanna stop someone" while i feel hollow points ~can~ be better i really think people tend to forget... it's a gun!!!!
be it my 1911 .45 or my ruger mk3 .22 i never really feel underpowered with any of the calibers.. maybe i just dont get it..
Why yes, yes you are...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As someone who loads 300gr HP for my thumper I will depart now :twisted:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: In Dog Beers....... I've Only Had One
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

A lot of goats died so we could have this info to make better choices...sorry does not include pellet gun info.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Any gun is better than harsh language. The way I rate it with modern bullet design and what the average person can control in a combat shooting situation, not from 1 to 10. I choose my self defense caliber and ammo by the situation, but if I was telling someone who did not own a pistol, this the advice I would give. Concealability is not a factor in this particular list. - .22 behind the ear, 380 get the hell off me gun, 38 spc -effective with Hornady Critical Defense and the like but not a huge bullet with tons of velocity, 9mm - battle proven and works great with modern ammo, 40 s&w- don't have one, but makes a decent hole. Often put in to too light of a gun. 357 mag -need I say more, it's a magnum, but generally a 6 shooter ( if you are worried about zombies and think you need more rounds ), super accurate but hard for average size folks to master. 45acp - with modern ammo it imparts a lot of power, makes a bigger hole. Less penetration than 9mm generally ( depends on ammo ), which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Also hard for the average person to control. 45 colt and 44 spcl - totally under appreciated man stoppers. Accurate, revolver only cartridges. I do not list the 44 magnum, 10mm, 50 AE or any of the bigger ones because it's a recoil, manageability thing for most folks. I would ask this question, what is the largest round you can shoot accurately? The answer is the gun YOU should choose, and you should choose premium ammo to defend yourself. Not every one shoots or has shot as much as me or others. Most folks will carry, feel safe and never practice. What value do you place on your own hind end? If it's 20 bucks for 50 rounds fine, after all, it's your hind end. My nickels worth.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

gds wrote:Yep you are the only one.

does that help?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I could have saved all that typing.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

does that help?
Well said!
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

rebel wrote:

does that help?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I could have saved all that typing.
I guess you SHOULD have saved all that typing. :lol: I started to reply early on and decided it wasn't worth it. OP doesn't pay me tuition. :mrgreen: