still having trouble shooting citadel 1911

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

turboface20
Senior Silent Operator

still having trouble shooting citadel 1911

Post by turboface20 »

the gun is 100% reliable but sometimes it hits right where i tell it and sometimes i have NO idea where the bullet went. i was able to hit a silouette at 100 yards multiple times with my glock 22 .40 today.. so its not like im a total rookie.
im so irritated with the gun that i want to sell it. but id rather find out why it is doing this. maybe i dont like the grip??
any help?
im shooting whinchester white box 230 grns

also do the sights go level?? because sometimes they hit true level and sometimes they hit true with the front sight a little higher than the rears
Rumbler

Re: still having trouble shooting citadel 1911

Post by Rumbler »

Were you trying to hit a silhouette at 100 yards with a Citadel and WW white box? That alone could well explain your misses.

Regarding sight picture the top of the front sight gets leveled with the top of the rear sight. If the front sight is narrow enough to see light on both sides the amount of light you can see on each side needs to be equal. That is a proper sight picture for ranges out to 25 yards, possibly 50 if you were actually using good quality ammunition, but that does not describe WWWB.

One last thing; dots/bars/bands/whatever, on handgun sights is one of the biggest disservices ever perpetrated upon the consumer. Forget them. Ignore them.

Top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, same amount of light on both sides, and figure out how much finger you need on the trigger - or don't need on the trigger - in order to press it STRAIGHT to the rear.

In light of your having said "Glock" and "maybe don't like the grip" on the 1911 I'm going to guess you are still adjusting to the pistol. One of the things folks tend to do when drastically changing from one pistol action to another is move their hand . . or at least trigger finger placement, from shot to shot. Even if they do not consciously realize they are doing it. I'm sure you realize that the 1911 trigger is as different from a Glock trigger as different can get.

If you will do the following "test" I believe that I may be able to shorten your adjustment curve.

Unload your 1911.
Check that your 1911 is unloaded.
Move the ammunition to another room.
Then unload your 1911.
Check that your 1911 is unloaded.

Now, pick a small spot several feet away from you. Like a light switch lever or the space between where the prongs go into a power receptacle. I recommend a wall with no chance of shooting someone on the other side of it just in case you screwed up unloading and checking your pistol twice. :lol:

Now. Take a very careful sight picture and get your sight alignment just right. Stick as much of your trigger finger as you can get through the trigger guard and onto the trigger. Pull the trigger while closely watching your sight alignment and sight picture.

What happened?
Chances are that right as the "shot" broke the very muzzle end of the pistol went to the right. Pull the hammer back and do the same thing again, only this time just use the tip of your trigger finger.

What happened?
Chances are that right as the "shot" broke the very muzzle end of the pistol went to the left.

Keep repeating until you find the spot on the trigger finger where the muzzle doesn't go left or right at all when you press the trigger. If you don't find it pretty quickly, the problem is likely that you are pressing the trigger far harder than you need to - slack off the effort some. And don't feel bad - most Glock shooters have that issue at first.

And remember, even a tiny bit of movement at the muzzle is a whole dang bunch at the target. Especially the farther away the target is!

I hope this helps. :P
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

print a few copies of that. go shoot it up close - 10 yds or so. this along with dry fire practice with snap caps (lots and lots and lots of it) is where my pistol shooting came around.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

i understand that you are not a rookie but i would suggest rethinking your weapon usage criteria. a pistol is not a small rifle. 50 yrds is the max you would want to shoot a pistol at something ( assuming you train for defensive shooting) and with a.45 i think 50 yrds is approaching its limit, especially with Win WB.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

plant.one wrote:
along with dry fire practice with snap caps (lots and lots and lots of it) is where my pistol shooting came around.
You don't need snap caps with a 1911! I've been shooting USPSA for over 20 years and have dry fired my 1911's thousands and thousands of times with no ill effects on them. As plant.one said, dry firing will help you a LOT! The more you do it the more it helps you and the great thing is it doesn't cost you anything but time.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

ditch the whitebox calling it target ammo should be considered fraud . the grip angle and trigger pull on your glock is very different than a 1911 and that could cause some of your problems but I doubt its the main factor . I cant add much more than what the other guys have said about dry firing alot . I use a paper plate with a 1 inch orange stick-um dot .
correct me if Im wrong but I think the citadel is made by armscor . I had an armscor and it simply would not shoot white box reliably or with any accuracy at all . but it would eat the cheap cabelas herter stuff like it was candy and acceptable accuracy .
turboface20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by turboface20 »

Ok. It was very frustrating bc sometimes it would hit dead on.and others it was low or to the right. And I was shooting between 10 and 20 yards at a large shoot and see target. I'm not an expert marksman or even close. But I can hit extremely well with my glock I pushed it to 100 yards for 1: to see if I could hit that far.
2: to help you guys understand that it's not like I know nothing about shooting and good trigger pull and keeping sights on target.

And 3: I was shooting the same 10-20 yards with my glock before attempting to shoot 100 yards.
I believe that with my natural grip on the 1911 I had too much finger on that tiny flat trigger in contrast to where my finger goes right where it needs to on my glocks much larger and more angled trigger.

To be clear, I'm not bashing my 1911 (I'm actually very fond of it) I just needed help understanding why I can't always hot with it?? And at the price of the gun and the 40 cents a round I'm sure you guys can imagine my frustration
I didn't even attempt the 100 yards with the 1911. Haha
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

Without seeing you shoot all of us are guessing. Find someone locally to help or post a video where we can see problems and help you fix the issues.....
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
OnyxATX

Post by OnyxATX »

I won't guess on anything, but say a couple things...

White Box is well... sometimes I eat a Hot Pocket but that doesn't mean it's any good for me. Sometimes said Hot Pocket is fine, and other times it's a nightmare in the bathroom.

As said before, the grip angle on a 1911 and Glock are very different. I 'thought' I was more accurate with my expensive fancy little 1911s, and faster at that! Until I got timed and ran some stages in IDPA. I found out I was loads more accurate and faster with the Glock.

Not because Glock is superior, but the 26 is my carry gun and gets about 5 times more range time than the 1911... so I've gotten used to the grip angle and start to go into "glock mode" with my movements shooting off feeling rather than sight picture.

The best "help me accuracy!" solution is to have another guy who can shoot well run your platform... and see what happens.
turboface20
Senior Silent Operator

the culprit!!!

Post by turboface20 »

too much finger on the trigger!! and this gun is very reliable and very accurate now that ive got the hang of it :mrgreen: