.277 Wolverine Info

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: .277 Wolverine Info

Post by BlogSarge »

Welcome back. Glad things are going well.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Glad it's going so well!

As I said months ago, I plan on the WLV being the next new-to-me caliber, but the $$ are tight still, so it's gotta wait a bit longer.

Keep up the good work and thanks for this great new little cartridge!
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

So where we at two years later? Any additional barrel companies jumping onboard, etc?
MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Post by MDWS »

USBP379 wrote:So where we at two years later? Any additional barrel companies jumping onboard, etc?
Yes X-Caliber can make custom barrels for you, you can always get them from the original place, and there are a few others tooling up now that we've released the prints to the public. Thanks!

...and wow... I forgot about this thread.... got an email saying someone posted to it. It has been a long time!
-Mark

Mad Dog Weapon Systems, Inc.

maddogweapons.com
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

Seems like getting barrels is the major stumbling block. I am not seeing many available.
MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Post by MDWS »

Boolit_Head wrote:Seems like getting barrels is the major stumbling block. I am not seeing many available.
That was the case, agreed, but not any longer. We have our own shop now and have been stocking up and selling out routinely... now we have a rythym and you will see lots and lots of barrels in stock consistently.
-Mark

maddogweapons.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

MDWS wrote:
USBP379 wrote:So where we at two years later? Any additional barrel companies jumping onboard, etc?
Yes X-Caliber can make custom barrels for you, you can always get them from the original place, and there are a few others tooling up now that we've released the prints to the public. Thanks!

...and wow... I forgot about this thread.... got an email saying someone posted to it. It has been a long time!
I think he got famous and forgot about us :mrgreen:

Nice to see you check in
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Post by MDWS »

dellet wrote:
MDWS wrote:

I think he got famous and forgot about us :mrgreen:

Nice to see you check in
Thanks! Not famous by any means, but enjoying seeing the cartridge's successes. We've sold just under 1,500 barrels so far and not stopping. The cartridge runs supers and subs now with the 1:7 Twist barrels (granted, the subs are not as heavy as the BLK), and like the BLK is just a barrel swap in a standard AR15. Supersonic performance from the "little" case is excellent, and we've had quite a few articles done by numerous places so far. I was just interviewed by The GaGG recently, that was fun. Here's a link tot he podcast:

http://thegagg.com/2017/05/01/podcast-g ... -flying-3/

Here's a video of the WLV running 200 grain subs out of an SBR, full auto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An_RvOx7GV4

Here's a video done by Lone Star Boars of the WLV taking hogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOTNg_boN34
-Mark

maddogweapons.com
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

MDWS wrote:
Boolit_Head wrote:Seems like getting barrels is the major stumbling block. I am not seeing many available.
That was the case, agreed, but not any longer. We have our own shop now and have been stocking up and selling out routinely... now we have a rythym and you will see lots and lots of barrels in stock consistently.
Anyone else tooling up to make barrels? Maybe contact Ballistic Advantage or Faxon and see what either (or both) think about making barrels. Both companies seem to have a good reputation for cost vs performance.

What about suitable hunting bullets? I know there are the TNT and Sierra hollow points but what about something like a 90gr Pro Hunter or Hot Cor? These should be right in the Wolverine's sweet spot for velocity while being much cheaper than the comparable Barmes, etc.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I am curious about the different twist rates and appropriate weights of bullets. I've seen mention of issues running inappropriate weights such as heavy bullets in 1:10 barrels and accuracy issues. Some of it seems fairly simple such as if you only want to use the lighter supersonic stay with the 1:10 or 1:11 barrels. On the other end the heavies should stay with the faster 1:7 twist rates. It seems I am interested in the grey area that SBR's seem to fall in. I am curious about shorter barrels in the 10 to 12 inch range and a mixture of supersonic and subsonic loads for suppressed use. I suppose the faster twist rate would be appropriate there but is there issues of over stabilization of the lighter bullets? What is the range of bullet weights for subsonic use?

As a side question what are the expansion results of the lighter subsonic loads and what weights are they? It seems the weak point of the Blackout is reliable expansion at lower velocities due to bullets that are designed to be driven faster. Putting the high end specialty bullets aside, are the off the shelf bullets achieving any expansion at lower velocities?

I'm still researching load data to get a grip on this cartridge but it looks very interesting.