Drawn down on today

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Re: Drawn down on today

Post by Magnum Mike »

Good to read that your still in one piece and unperforated!

Ohio is the only state I am aware of that requires you to announce your carrying. While I understand their logic, I don't agree with the law BUT I DO comply.

In PA, I don't mention it. Its not the reason I am being pulled over and there is no reason to make an officer more nervous (that's likely already nervous/anxious) that they've pulled me over. Typically its a speeding violation and not some other reckless situation that would put an officer on edge. That said, if I were asked to step out of the car, I would announce that I were carrying and where the gun was located.

In Ohio, after making them aware I was carrying, I have had officers ask me for my permit, where the gun is, others just thanked me for the notification and one that just told me to keep my hands where they could be seen(didn't even ask if I had a permit and knowing i'm from PA). Funny the different responses by the individuals. And this is also making me aware that I am obviously driving too fast too often to have this much experience with LE's from Ohio, lol.

I would be HIGHLY upset if someone drew down on me without cause.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Magnum Mike wrote:Good to read that your still in one piece and unperforated!

Ohio is the only state I am aware of that requires you to announce your carrying. While I understand their logic, I don't agree with the law BUT I DO comply.

In PA, I don't mention it. Its not the reason I am being pulled over and there is no reason to make an officer more nervous (that's likely already nervous/anxious) that they've pulled me over. Typically its a speeding violation and not some other reckless situation that would put an officer on edge. That said, if I were asked to step out of the car, I would announce that I were carrying and where the gun was located.

In Ohio, after making them aware I was carrying, I have had officers ask me for my permit, where the gun is, others just thanked me for the notification and one that just told me to keep my hands where they could be seen(didn't even ask if I had a permit and knowing i'm from PA). Funny the different responses by the individuals. And this is also making me aware that I am obviously driving too fast too often to have this much experience with LE's from Ohio, lol.

I would be HIGHLY upset if someone drew down on me without cause.

Youre right, the officer on the stop is nervous, and when his partner on the passenger side sees you shift to get your wallet and sees your gun, hes gonna be nervous even more. And take you out at gunpoint. That's why I say, its best to tell the officer youre packin when he first approaches you. If you don't tell him/them and they see it, they'll wonder what youre hiding. They don't know you. They don't know you have a permit. All they see is a gun in you waist/center console/glove box.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

Scotty777

Post by Scotty777 »

Michigan requires announcement of carry status when pulled over as well.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

VENT625 wrote: Youre right, the officer on the stop is nervous, and when his partner on the passenger side sees you shift to get your wallet and sees your gun, hes gonna be nervous even more. And take you out at gunpoint. That's why I say, its best to tell the officer youre packin when he first approaches you. If you don't tell him/them and they see it, they'll wonder what youre hiding. They don't know you. They don't know you have a permit. All they see is a gun in you waist/center console/glove box.
Or, I mention that I am carrying to some trigger happy wannabe super cop Barney Fife rookie that draws and shoves his gun in my face (with finger on trigger, of course) in an attempt to disarm the bad guy (cuz we all know that any civi carrying a gun has to be a perp) like has happened NUMEROUS times in Canton, OH, to name one PD that has taken a stance against CCW. This topic can be debated forever. I think the only right answer depends on the circumstances. If there is a chance that the officer can/will see the gun, let them know. If not, its up to you, assuming there is no law requiring.

Additionally, why would I be taken out at gunpoint instead of simply asked a question if I had a permit or not? If there is no law that requires notification, why would you automatically assume that I must be carrying illegally? Just because I don't announce it? That mentality leads you to believe that my above joking reference is closer to the truth than ALL OF US would like to believe. I realize that a lot of the public has no respect for LE's but you have to remember, that's not all of us. If the vehicle operator has given no reason to be concerned and a gun is discovered, why all the sudden do you toss out the window that the guy has been respectful/hasn't given you any grief and now your ready to perforate him, becuz he has a firearm?

BTW, I've NEVER been pulled over by a LE that had a "partner". While I am sure this applies to a lot of areas, my run in's are typically in a rural or highway environment where there is no partner that would BUST me not disclosing my ccw. And as mentioned, 99% have been speeding violations where I have noted that the officer was not even mildly nervous.

I realize that common sense is uncommon these days but our LE's need to be held to a higher standard than the public.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Virginia requires you to announce that you are carring concealed. Most people here do announce it when stopped, some dont. I dont see it as a big deal as long as they stay in their vehicle. I have a few friends that are not in LE that carry everywhere they go. If I see them out without their firearm I asks if they are sick! I love the fact that there are people that carry a firearm and concealed if thats what they want. I just hope most of them are capable of using it properly with safty in mind if need be. If im in trouble I hope they will announce them self and help me!

What most people dont know is what has been relayed to LE about a call they are responding to. Some of the info is correct and some is not. But LE cant take a chance on what is right and what is not. You always respond according to what you was told. Be prepaired for the worst and hope for the best. I have been called to vehicle crashes that was reported with cars flipped over and bodies ejected and laying around in the middle of the road. Get there and there is a car stuck in the ditch. You never know... but you respond as if it was the first.
tazlik2fly
Silent But Deadly

Post by tazlik2fly »

I come from a family of law enforcement. And like the post above me said the dispatcher doesn't always have a clear picture. That responding trooper may have only been told domestic dispute man with a gun in this area.
Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

farm use wrote:Virginia requires you to announce that you are carring concealed.
There is no duty to inform that you are carrying concealed in VA.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
In the instance of a traffic stop, should I advise the police officer that I have a concealed handgun permit?
Virginia law does not require you to notify the officer that you have a permit. However, Section 18.2-308.01, of the Code of Virginia, requires you to be in possession of the permit whenever you are carrying a concealed handgun and to display the permit and a government-issued photo-identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

chrismartin wrote:
farm use wrote:Virginia requires you to announce that you are carring concealed.
There is no duty to inform that you are carrying concealed in VA.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
In the instance of a traffic stop, should I advise the police officer that I have a concealed handgun permit?
Virginia law does not require you to notify the officer that you have a permit. However, Section 18.2-308.01, of the Code of Virginia, requires you to be in possession of the permit whenever you are carrying a concealed handgun and to display the permit and a government-issued photo-identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.
You are correct! I was wrong. You dont have to announce it. But is a good idea if stopped to say you have a permit and are carring.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Magnum Mike wrote:
VENT625 wrote: Youre right, the officer on the stop is nervous, and when his partner on the passenger side sees you shift to get your wallet and sees your gun, hes gonna be nervous even more. And take you out at gunpoint. That's why I say, its best to tell the officer youre packin when he first approaches you. If you don't tell him/them and they see it, they'll wonder what youre hiding. They don't know you. They don't know you have a permit. All they see is a gun in you waist/center console/glove box.
Or, I mention that I am carrying to some trigger happy wannabe super cop Barney Fife rookie that draws and shoves his gun in my face (with finger on trigger, of course) in an attempt to disarm the bad guy (cuz we all know that any civi carrying a gun has to be a perp) like has happened NUMEROUS times in Canton, OH, to name one PD that has taken a stance against CCW. This topic can be debated forever. I think the only right answer depends on the circumstances. If there is a chance that the officer can/will see the gun, let them know. If not, its up to you, assuming there is no law requiring.

Additionally, why would I be taken out at gunpoint instead of simply asked a question if I had a permit or not? If there is no law that requires notification, why would you automatically assume that I must be carrying illegally? Just because I don't announce it? That mentality leads you to believe that my above joking reference is closer to the truth than ALL OF US would like to believe. I realize that a lot of the public has no respect for LE's but you have to remember, that's not all of us. If the vehicle operator has given no reason to be concerned and a gun is discovered, why all the sudden do you toss out the window that the guy has been respectful/hasn't given you any grief and now your ready to perforate him, becuz he has a firearm?

BTW, I've NEVER been pulled over by a LE that had a "partner". While I am sure this applies to a lot of areas, my run in's are typically in a rural or highway environment where there is no partner that would BUST me not disclosing my ccw. And as mentioned, 99% have been speeding violations where I have noted that the officer was not even mildly nervous.

I realize that common sense is uncommon these days but our LE's need to be held to a higher standard than the public.

Well good for you.....you live in an area where one cop patrols the county. Drive thru a huge metropolitan area. Cops are usually doubled up and if not, theres a backup just a few blocks away. I don't blame cops for being as nervous as they are. Most of the public are a$$holes with a cell phone video or camera rolling just to get them in trouble. I work in police communications, and the number of yoyos out there who want suicide by cop is higher than you can imagine. So when a cop draws on you because he sees your sidearm and you didn't tell him about it, don't whine. While your laying face first in the asphalt, the cop I told about my gun is letting me go. And don't tell me your in LE either, because you used the word "perp". No one, I mean no one in LE uses the word perp. I have worked in LE in Los Angeles and Denver for over 20 years, never heard a cop say "perp". Do what you want, but don't blame the cop for drawing on ya when he sees your gun.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Can't say I can remember ever seeing two cops in a car except on Adam-12.