.22 rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22 rifle

Post by rockrivershooter »

He's 10 I just want something we can go to the range and have fun with im open to all suggestions.
kscarrington

Post by kscarrington »

rockrivershooter wrote:So what's the most popular rifle that is customizable. Also I will eventually suppressing it also.
Since you're looking for something that's easily customizable, I'm going to echo the 10/22 sentiment. I picked up a screaming deal on a package from a buddy and couldn't be happier. It's a tack driver to begin with, had it threaded for the silencer, and now it's a quiet/silent tack driver. Endless number of drop in components and readily available accessories make it easy to make it "your" rifle. I picked mine up on a whim, and have literally been having a blast ever since.

Regardless of which platform you choose, you will have a great bonding experience. I've been introducing shooting to my 7-year old and she loves her Marlin Papoose and the Ruger 22/45!
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

I have a Remington 700 30.06 that I had the barrel threaded and have a Suppressor for it with a electric blue stocky stocks stock with bipods and a redfield lo-pro tv view scope he really likes it I was looking into a Remington 597 or ruger 10/22 because stocky stocks has a electric blue stock I thought id put on his so we'd have matching guns since he likes mine so much. I appreciate everyones help. Thank you!
BELT_FED
Silent Operator

Post by BELT_FED »

Im kind of a rimfire nut, so I feel your pain. There are so many options out there its not funny. I have 3 10/22s all set up in different ways(from full on target to folding cut down toys). I even have a belt fed ar15 chambered in 22 cal. with that said the 2 guns that get shot the most are my s&w 15-22 and my Savage TRR-SR. The 15-22 is so much fun, Ive not had one friend to pick mine up that didnt buy one for themselves or atleast talk about it. Its also a great trainer for you if you like the ar15 platform most ar-15 stuff fits it including trigger parts. The TRR-SR on the other hand is on the other side of the fence. With a can its the ultimate marksman trainer with no hearing protection required. My wife has all but taken this rifle away from me. She loves to shoot the little metalic critters at 100yds while suppressed and its funny to watch the look on the other shooters faces. The 10/22 is probably the most modable rimfire on the market which means it can grow with your sons abillities. So you have your work cut out for you deciding on which to go with and what kind of shooting he is going to want to do
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Darkstang »

I have both rugers and a 597. 597 is a dust collector... My Ruger SR-22 eats anything and takes any 1022 triggers barrels etc. With a red dot sights it gets shot more than anything I own.
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

rockrivershooter wrote:He's 10 I just want something we can go to the range and have fun with im open to all suggestions.
The rifle you linked to above may be too long for him.

Just bought my 10 year old boy this Ruger 10/22>

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/19122

It's short and light but most importantly it has a kid size length of pull (LOP). My son is average in size and it fits him well. He's constantly begging me to take him shooting. And he loves the fiber optic sights. He just loads, shoots, loads, shoots.

When he gets older we'll get a longer stock and he may want to trick it out. That's the beauty of the Ruger.
Remember............ You're special, unique, one of a kind....................just like everyone else.
skhowell
Silent But Deadly

Post by skhowell »

If you go the 10/22 route, give some thought to adding a set of Tech-Sights. $60 for a front/rear set & no gunsmithing required. You get an aperture sight system that basically replicates what you have on an AR. I found them a marked improvement over the stock leaf & blade.

They also make a version for the Marlin model 60/795 plus other makes & models.

Nick
NRA Life
Retired FBOP
Buzduk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Buzduk »

Kisstactical wrote:I have sold a few of this. It my favorite .22
+1 on the sbr. The tile looks good too! Have you built those sbr's or had them built?
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201 Matt
Kisstactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kisstactical »

I do them. I start with a new gun every time or if you have a gun that you want me to use.
Buzduk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Buzduk »

Kisstactical wrote:I do them. I start with a new gun every time or if you have a gun that you want me to use.
Is that an axiom stock?
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201 Matt