2019 hunting results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

2019 hunting results

Post by plant.one »

as many of you know, my family has 140 acres on the pine river just sw of the mt.pleasant area that among other things is the family deer camp. had a great year this year! this was a personal record for us of most bucks taken in a single season.

my brother got a decent 7pt during late end of bow season and we took 8 bucks and a doe on opening weekend of firearm season - 4 bucks and the doe fell to 450 bushy's, my 6 pointer included.

my dad took an 8 and a 6 with his 30-06, my one cousin got a 7 and a one horn spike (160 yds) he though was a doe(barely 3½ horn) with my 450 upper, our friend took a 5 pt and a doe with his suppressed 450, i got my 6 as mentioned opening morning, friend got a 4pt (his first buck, 12g) and my cousin took a 3pt at about 225 yds with his 7mm mag.

my 6pt started out the year as at least an 8, but had broken antlers on both sides right after the G3 due to fighting during this years rut. based on the condition of the antlers he broke them at different times, likely several weeks apart. neither break was fresh and newest was likely several weeks old at the very least.

we had one deer that got lost this year after tracking for several hundred yards. lung shot - we found several large lung chunks right before the blood stopped - and then gone. we suspect that the exit wound was plugged by the destroyed lung tissue.

all the 450 kills were taken with hornady black 250 ftx and were vital shots. 4 were double lung/liver and one was heart/lung. all bullets passed through as expected.

mine made it about 65 or so yards before he collapsed. he was at about 50 yds when i smacked him and he hunched up good when he took the hit.

one pretty much piled up on the spot and didnt make it more than a few feet, the other 3 traveled between 35-65 yds. pretty much textbook vitals kills.

pics will follow as we get them hosted and sorted out.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2019 hunting results

Post by plant.one »

Finally got the pics processed up. Do not have pics of the one horn wonder or the doe...

The buck with the knife in the horns is my 6 with both sides broken at the g3

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Nice. Y'all need the Hide ripper 10000 on that meat pole.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Congrats on the haul this year. Looks like you folks will have plenty of meat until next season :)
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey plant, good to see your family’s success. Full freezers are a blessing.

I can hear the bacon grease sizzling with backstraps in it.

I shot a big doe opening day and got another in September that was hit by a car. My freezer is happily full, too. I might shoot one more if a good opportunity pops up. I built a 350 Legend that needs to get blooded still.

Cheers!