Fixed stock buffer on 16" carbine gas length

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

zorro60

Fixed stock buffer on 16" carbine gas length

Post by zorro60 »

My 16" barreled with carbine length gas tube has had no feeding problems with the adjustable stock. I changed the stock to a fixed rifle stock with the longer buffer and spring that came with the stock. Granted it is for a 5.56 cal but can't find anything for 300 Blackout. It doesn't feed well at all. Thought about just putting the adjustable stock back on if there was nothing else I can do. If this has already come up could you point me to the thread? Any suggestions?
Thanks
John
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fixed stock buffer on 16" carbine gas length

Post by dellet »

The rifle buffer is too heavy and the spring is to stiff for a carbine gassed barrel. Use a standard carbine buffer and spring with a spacer in the bottom of the buffer tube.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
zorro60

Post by zorro60 »

Thank you, I will give it a try.
John
Wanderson

Post by Wanderson »

You’re gonna have to either lighten the rifle buffer or go with a lighter spring, maybe both.
I’d start with a lighter Springco spring.
The rifle buffer is 5 oz., same weight as an H3 carbine buffer. Std. carbine buffer is 3oz.
But I’ve not seen a lighter rifle buffer.
Or a cheap solution would be to just get a spacer and use your original carbine buffer & spring. Brownells sells them, it’s made of a white delrin polymer.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

jp makes a lightweight (3oz) bbuffer for fixed stocks

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/r ... 27116.aspx

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 am jp makes a lightweight (3oz) bbuffer for fixed stocks

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/r ... 27116.aspx

hth
I wonder how well that works with a standard rifle spring, it's a nice alternative to the spacer and I would rather not use the extra piece if possible.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

no clue. none of my lowers have a fixed stock. :mrgreen:

but like you said - it solves the spacer issue, this is a proper form factor lightened up.

if i had to speculate i would guess its probably somewhat similar to a standard carbine spring with a h1 or h2 - but again thats WAG territory.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

dellet wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:59 am The rifle buffer is too heavy and the spring is to stiff for a carbine gassed barrel. Use a standard carbine buffer and spring with a spacer in the bottom of the buffer tube.

Dellet is correct.

During the ban years, all you could buy were fixed stocks for your AR's. Either pinned open collapsible stocks, or the A2 or the Ace Skeleton, which I preferred over the A2. I have nothing against the A2, but I always like the Skeleton better.

With that said, it may not work out well with subsonic blackout for the reasons that dellet gave. The blackout just doesn't reach the 55,000-62,000 psi chamber pressures that the 556 gets.

But fixed stock shouldn't be a problem at all with the 556 uppers.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.