9mm AR decision.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

9mm AR decision.

Post by gds »

I have an old Olympic Arms AR15 upper. Have had it for years. DS cut and profiled the barrel to 6 inches, for me a while back. It uses sten gun mags. which work great, but are heavy and long.

I am wanting to build another 9mm AR pistol, with prices as cheap as they are now. My problem is deciding on the Lower. I already have a complete upper and BCG. But cannot decide on a Glock mag lower or a M&P mag lower.

AAO MFG has Glock, M&P, and SIG p250/p320, 80% lowers, with the LRBHO, which is a must, since the OLY does not have that feature.

I have a bunch of M&Ps 9mm handguns, which are my prefered handgun. All my 1911s have been retired. I don't have any of the higher capacity mags, although that would not be a problem to acquire. I have a couple boxes full of 17 rounders.

If I go with the Glock Lower, then I would eventually be forced to build a poly80 glock. Until then, I think I have a 20 round 9mm glock mag somewhere in my pile of extra gun stuff.

Of course, I suppose I could always get both. But have to decide on one or the other first.

Decisions, decisions.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
brutis
Silent Operator

Re: 9mm AR decision.

Post by brutis »

I did a New Frontier Armory 80% Glock mag lower for mine and I don't own any Glocks. Also built it with one of their side charge LRBHO uppers.

They do make a lower for MP5 mags now to throw another thing in there for you to think about.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm AR decision.

Post by golfindia »

For 9mm AR, I prefer Colt mags. They are cheap and way easier to load. Steer clear of Asian high capacity glock mags.

I am a fan of large frame glock AR lowers though. Super versatile. You can use them for 45, 10mm (weak loads only) and 40S&W. 10mm mags feed 40 just fine. 40S&W out of an AR is great, 180g bullets are subsonic and suppress well in a 45acp can.

I don't remember where I got the colt 80% lower, but my large frame 80% was new frontier.