1st Post - New To The Blackour!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

CaptnC

1st Post - New To The Blackour!

Post by CaptnC »

I've been fighting joining this crowd, but was forced into it.

I was included in an Estate Sale and ended up with a pile of AR's...three Blackouts and three 6.8's.

So I'm in! LOL

Any way "Hey guys!" Didn't mean to upset any one with my lead in, but I will be going against the grain as a BO owner.

All three AR's are 16"...I'm mainly into long range shooting (600yds) with 6.5mm chamberings dominating my gun collection. I have built myself 3 6.5 Grendel's in the last year to compliment my 6.5's bolt guns.

So...for me...faster is better!

But I have a question about piston driven 300BO wit a 16" barrel and I think a pistol length gas port. None of these rifles have been fired and I've only had them a week. I'm hitting the range tomorrow to see what happens.

Any tips on what I might need to do if it won't run?

I'm also new to piston AR's
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1st Post - New To The Blackour!

Post by Bob the nailer »

CaptnC, welcome to the fry once you taste the subsonics it's not at all about super speed. :mrgreen:
Lots of well informed shooters here.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bob the nailer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 am CaptnC, welcome to the fry once you taste the subsonics it's not at all about super speed. :mrgreen:
Lots of well informed shooters here.
Heresy!

Actually, Bob’s been doing some great things putting Sub MOA in subsonic shooting. :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I don't consider the blk to be a long range round like other calibers.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
CaptnC

Post by CaptnC »

Bob the nailer...we are on another forum together...

I do like my long range shooting. This cartridge just doesn't seem to fit my shooting style, but I'm going to give it a go....just to see!

One range trip...30 or so rounds later I was very impressed! 125gr bullet shoot into one hole at 100yds. The 5.56 AR's I got had a bunch of cheap optics on them, so I hug one on the BO and still shot a very slow one hole group at 100yds.

1900+fps is slooooooow! I'm used that velocity out past 600yds with some of my 6.5 chamberings! I'm not even thinking magnums!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

you should be able to warm that 125 gr load up a little bit at the very least. 2200 isnt out of the realm of probabilities for that class of bullet and still be able to maintain MOA accuracy at hunting ranges.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
CaptnC

Post by CaptnC »

Good to know...I'm shooting ammo that came with all the guns from the Estate Sale. He hand loaded hundreds of rounds but never fired any of the ARs.

I have pulled down some of his reloads to make sure they are GTG, of course they are.I may pull them down and bump the powder charge up a bit. The SD and ES was not very good. So he was way off the noid on this choice of charge.

I also shot two of the three 6.8's and both shot terrible 5 MOA or better...just so happens I pulled known good optics expecting great things...didn't happen. Any of you guys into 6.8 have any ideas?

I need to check the load data, I can't recall it off the top of my head. It was fast over 2700fps, but it was also all over the paper!