Reading Wind

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pm

ozleux wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Obviously wind is in language I have yet to understand, but I need to get it figured out :shock:
Last weekend at Frontline Defense, at the longest stage, the 800 yd. flag and the 1000 yd. flag were straight out in opposite directions :x
Wondering what would have happened if you shot for the middle. Maybe the opposing winds would cancel?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
ozleux
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:57 pm
Location: Bassett, VA (like anyone knows where that is)

Re: Reading Wind

Post by ozleux » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 am

rebel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pm
ozleux wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Obviously wind is in language I have yet to understand, but I need to get it figured out :shock:
Last weekend at Frontline Defense, at the longest stage, the 800 yd. flag and the 1000 yd. flag were straight out in opposite directions :x
Wondering what would have happened if you shot for the middle. Maybe the opposing winds would cancel?
I held center target (full size IPSC) on the first two shot. First was .5 mil low left, second was 1.5 mil low right. Came up .8 mil, held center, next two went 2 mils left. :lol:
It pretty much went downhill after that. At least It wasn't raining :mrgreen:
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"

JohnW
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Reading Wind

Post by JohnW » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 am

One thing I've learned is that conditions are almost never the same all the way from the shooter to the target, and you have to give conditions closer to the shooter more value than those at the target. A swirling breeze is the worst.

Rebel knows 1/2 moa will do pretty good at the groundhog shoot, but it's not likely to win!!!!!

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am

JohnW wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 am
One thing I've learned is that conditions are almost never the same all the way from the shooter to the target, and you have to give conditions closer to the shooter more value than those at the target. A swirling breeze is the worst.

Rebel knows 1/2 moa will do pretty good at the groundhog shoot, but it's not likely to win!!!!!
Nope, not at all. I was pleased with the group in the first pic but I won't have the luxury of waiting on the wind to stop. 2 minute time limit.
If I can just shoot that on the day, I'd be happy. This rifle shoots under a 1/3rd MOA when I do things correctly.
The wind dynamic is confusing where the match is held - River bottom with lots of bends and swirls.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Well, I just suck.
Blew it today at the groundhog shoot. Worst score I've had in 3 years of competing.
Don't listen to my advice except how to lose with grace :oops:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Apparently it's not of a concern here. I won't waste anymore of Y'alls time with it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

User avatar
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Reading Wind

Post by bangbangping » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:38 pm

rebel wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:42 pm
Well, I just suck.
Blew it today at the groundhog shoot. Worst score I've had in 3 years of competing.
Don't listen to my advice except how to lose with grace :oops:
Details, man, details. Not necessarily what went wrong personally unless you want to share. I enjoy reading about the shoot in general. It's a heck of a big deal.

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 am

bangbangping wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:38 pm
rebel wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:42 pm
Well, I just suck.
Blew it today at the groundhog shoot. Worst score I've had in 3 years of competing.
Don't listen to my advice except how to lose with grace :oops:
Details, man, details. Not necessarily what went wrong personally unless you want to share. I enjoy reading about the shoot in general. It's a heck of a big deal.
PM sent
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

User avatar
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: NC swamp

Re: Reading Wind

Post by SwampDog_13 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Well hell, what happened rebel?

I was able to sneak out on my one day off this week and got my butt kicked by the wind too. Trying to read the mirage was near impossible for me by 1300 as there was enough of it that I could just barely make out the target. I'm still a rookie when it comes to accurate wind calls so any tips are always appreciated.

User avatar
rebel
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7239
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: Moonshine Country

Re: Reading Wind

Post by rebel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Swamp I am a rookie as well. Saw a fellow Saturday shoot a 101 score! A new high for the shoot. So most here have access to a 100 yard range.
Take a piece of cardboard and cut a nickel size hole out in the middle. Run a few copies. So now you have a white bullseye on a black background.
Everytime you go to the range with whatever rifle you have, shoot 3 shots - one cold bore at the white dot. Do it from the bench, then do it prone.
Some rifles tend to not shoot prone like on the bench. ( part of my awful performance :oops: ) Keep all shots in the white, if they cut the line it's not good enough, if they are so tight you can't tell with a magnifier there are 2 shots there -you lose a shot. You have to clean it.
It's tougher than it sounds to do consistently.

Don't rely on your memory, write it down. Conditions - wind direction and speed, light or lack thereof, mirage, temp., humidity, were your privates itching when you were shooting - every possible damn thing you can think of. I am terrible at this. I remember to do it when I get home Then put it off.
(double oops :oops:)

Rifle handling skills - so how does a man and a rifle shoot an 1.125 group at 500 yards in high wind, 12 -15 mph from 4 o'clock and then only get two bullets on paper at the same distance? With light wind switching from 4 to 7 o'clock? Easy, chuck his big ass prone, with the rifle not aligned properly, give him a 2 minute time limit and the natural stress of competing. Throw you out of the zone and you'll never shoot as well as you do comfortably on the home range. ( triple oops )

Possibly, being it was the 3 rd time at this match owning the most accurate rifle I ever have, I was overconfident. It's a condition I am rarely in to, and lead to making stupid mistakes, which I did. I walked away from it humbled in front of my peers, customers and friends.
The take away from all this is that I am disappointed in myself for not doing the best I could have. I'm am certainly not good enough to win that match, so I just wanted to beat my own performance from previous years. The mental aspect of shooting is as important as the actual doing it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.

Post Reply