300 AAC BLACKOUT questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT questions

Post by dellet »

Mike7.62 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 pm Bangbangping,

Dellet is correct. I did mean subsonic, rather than suppressed. I intend to use my HAM'R suppressed with supers, so my bad in describing the difference.

As to bullet weights etc., yes, longer heavier bullets will not work as the twist in the HAM'R barrel is 1/15". It is meant to optimize bullets in the 110 through 150 gr range, though in my early experiments in checking chambering with dummy rounds made with bullets that I have on hand, some 150 spitzers are too long. The 150 gr Hornady Interlock, both RN and spitzer, and the 150 gr Speer Gold Dot work fine, as do the Sierra and Speer 150 gr FN meant for the .30-30. According to John B's article in "Handloader" his top velocities were 2639 f/s in the 110 (Sierra HP), 2574 f/s in the 125 gr (Sierra Pro Hunter FP), 2619 f/s in the 130gr (Speer Hot-Cor FN), and 2236 f/s in the 150 gr Speer Hot-Cor.

My upper build is an 18" barrel with an intermediate length gas tube. I'm using an adjustable gas block, so damaging brass shouldn't be a factor. I hope.

Anyway, I am hoping to achieve the velocities that are advertised, and the "Handloader" article gives me positive feedback for doing that.
I will be interested to hear your results. I’ve wanted to do a rimmed version like that for a long time.

The cartridge has been around in one form or another for well over 100 years as a rimmed case. The 30-30 Wesson was a straight taper, the 30-40 Wesson had a neck more like the 30-30 Winchester. Both of those can be made from a 357 Maximum. That brings us to modern single shots, the 357 max case has been necked down to 308 in a lot of different lengths. It’s used to make rimmed versions of just about anything .223 based.

If the Ham’r works as well as some of those, it will be a great cartridge in an AR.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.