Prefered handgun.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

nlvmike

Re: Prefered handgun.

Post by nlvmike »

Generally, the one I have in my hand.

All joking aside, it changes often. I love my FN Five Seven, but it doesn't get the trigger time it used to. I really like 1911's, but they are generally too heavy for EDC. I had one built that is only 24 oz. I just got it and love shooting it, but haven't carried it. Also, a little big for EDC, but I love shooting a Canik 9mm.

Too many favorites is a good problem to have.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

For what purpose....

Carry, I like the micro 380s. Either a taurus TCP, or Ruger LCP II. Hate the LCP original. I happen to own the TCP and carry it either in a suit pocket or IWB. The trigger is okay, and breaks far enough forward not to cause me to pull the shot. I can get it out quickly from either method, and I make good hits on small targets at varied ranges. I trust the gun, and it is never in my way or uncomfortable to carry. Sights are smaller than I would like. LCP II is a bit nicer, but I don't own one. I would really like to try out the RM380, but I don't know anyone who owns one. Sig P238 is nicer to shoot, but it has the wrong manual of arms, plus some of them that I have tried were rather picky about ammo.

I also like the shield 9mm, and am very interested in the 365 if it gets sorted out. If I can only have one, the smaller one wins because there is almost no circumstance that is impractical to carry it.. If I have two, I carry the slightly bigger one most of the time.

Plinking? S&W 66 in 6" flavor is just the gun it is hard to go wrong with. Everything is goldilocks. Including the sights. I paint over the sights on my guns to clone them. Orange block in white square U with narrow daylight just works for me. Glock sights seem like a drunk who has never shot a gun cribbed notes from these and did a bad Chinese copy. Wide daylight, and a white Dot???? I don't like 3 dot sights either. They can trick one's eye into lining up the tops of the dots, rather than the centers. If I were getting my perfect, it would be a square orange fiber optic front sight with the tritium vial in it, and the S&W rear sight/

Also S&W 2206 TGT, 433 or any members of that family. With a can it feels perfect, and I would take it over a ruger mark series every day of the week. I haven't tried a model 41, but I would probably like one given that my faves are basically made to be a cheaper replacement for them. These guns are non-standard in almost every detail, but the result is a gun that is dead easy to shoot well. Don't like the safety on them though.

I like a good auto pistol, but most of them don't feel particularly special to me. Glocks are boring, and I prefer DA/SA. Sigs are too tall and clunky for my tastes. I like the feel of berrettas and clones more.

I have a lot of rounds through my taurus pt99-AF, and it is a good shooter with a great trigger.

I think what it will take to make me really excited about another pistol would be one designed around a good red dot optic, and very compact. If the sig 365 came with an optic, that's pretty close to the form factor that I want.

A common theme for pistols that I find enjoyable to shoot is that they are basically flat and thin, and the flat surfaces index my hands to the line of the bore. So a 1911 with flat thin grips and maybe a groove or so for the thumbs is great. With the standard scales that give an oval profile, it is Ho Hum, and not a natural pointer. So no fat round grips for me. That's a big knock against the berettas and some of the other wonder 9s, but some of them have other features which allow them to be repeatable in my hands.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

post script.

It looks like a gimmick to most people, but the flux brace for glocks is pretty close to a thing I have wanted my whole life. A rapid deploy stocked pistol. IMO that would make sense for a car gun, a backpacking or backwoods gun, or as a bushpilot's emergency gun. I would want it either in 9 or 10mm depending on the application, with a dot.

Think about it as a concept. Not for being your EDC, but for being the gun you rip out of your car holster, and have ready to go. I think a setup like that can be shot more quickly accurately and effectively than a pistol in conventional stance, since it has a third point of contact either to your cheek or shoulder.
S.T.A.R.COM

Post by S.T.A.R.COM »

I have an appreciation for all well made firearms because I'm a gun enthusiast...but that being said...I'm a GLOCK fan!! 8)
Emmaclearwater

Post by Emmaclearwater »

TT is the best handgun