Ruger SR-762 accuracy issues.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger SR-762 accuracy issues.

Post by plant.one »

did they tell you what ammo they used for the testing?

that would be great data to have.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Yes they did. PMC Bronze in .308. I bought a few boxes of 7.62x51. Going to try those once this hangover subsides a bit. I was hog hunting last night and had some Texas Whiskey to keep me company. I counted 21 hogs crossing the creek on my neighbor's land and assumed they were running about but no luck.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Finally got out to shoot today. Much better but still not impressed. I neex to get some of the ammo Ruger used to test it I guess.

My local gunshop only had 7.62 147gr ball headstamped WCC 83. Pretty old stuff. Probably military rejects lolo. Still looked good though.

They seemed really hot. Had to turn the gas up to 3 and brass was still kicking at about 4:30 - 5:00 o'clock. From my understanding. 308 is hotter than 7x62.

It would start grouping okay then start to go high then come back down again. Best group was probably 3-4" at 100 yards. Pretty pathetic. Hopefully it's just the ammo this time around.

If I can't get the groups tighter I guess I'll try and sale it to someone who wants to tinker with it or make it a safe queen. I didn't buy it as a 100 yard gun. Got the 300BO for that. Maybe it just doesn't like the 7.62's. Hell I don't know. Wish I could turn it into a DI and free float it on the cheap.
- Sigmund Freud
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

147 ball thats for sale to the private market is the worst of the worst that passed safety testing.

there's a reason n the military rejected it after all.

buddy of mine just got a G2... took it to the range and all they had was Federal XM80C 149gr ball

he txts me all stressed that his best group is like 3"... i was like... feed it some quality ammo and get back to me.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

😂😂 makes me feel better. Thats the reply I was looking for.

I'll hit some Barnes through it in a week or two. Wish ATT would drop POTs lines and drop that copper down from gold like prices. Geez. Now you got fools cutting fiber thinking it's copper. Meth heads.

Anyway, thanks for the feed back. I had two FTFs but cleaned it up with a mag clean (10 round magpul, used to hunt) a touch of ms2 to the BCG, and a barrel swip for good measure. I haven't given up yet.

At one time it was shooting well (minus the FTFs and FTEs) with .308. I'm thinking I need to stay away from 7.62.

Curious, why does 7.62 which is military spec have lower case capacity and pressure yields than civilian. 308? Usually it's the other way around. Anyway, keeping the 7.62 brass for reloading.

From what I've read you just back your min load up by 1.5gr and start there. I assume I got more room to play than 300BO. Just shot 100rd of Cor-Bon LC 09 brass and prepping those for my next blkout 110g v-max loads.

While I'm here I might as well brag. Dropped a 200+ boar last night with the 5.56. My 700c Yamaha was struggling to drag it home. Shot it in the shoulder (armor plate) and never found the entry. Dead though. Now my deer will hopefully come back. Bastard ran everything off.
- Sigmund Freud
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger SR 762 accuracy issues

Post by gds »

Enfoto wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am It’s been bypassed by previous owner,
obviously there is still issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What?
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in