bangbangping wrote:Pistol
Carbine :mrgreen:
:roll: Yes, you would.
:lol:
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas length question

Post by Boolit_Head »

Either would work depending on what you want. Pistol length would be more flexible with subsonic. Carbine length can be finicky with subsonic. Both work well with supers.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Boolit_Head wrote:Either would work depending on what you want. Pistol length would be more flexible with subsonic. Carbine length can be finicky with subsonic. Both work well with supers.
Maybe some clarity is needed, the OP has a 10.5" barrel.

I find a 16" carbine gassed system finicky without a suppressor shooting subs.

I find a 10" carbine gassed barrel to be troublesome without a suppressor and subs. Not so bad with one.

Is that what you've experienced also? not too many shooting the short carbine barrels and interested in what they have found.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Danno

Post by Danno »

dellet wrote:
Boolit_Head wrote:Either would work depending on what you want. Pistol length would be more flexible with subsonic. Carbine length can be finicky with subsonic. Both work well with supers.
Maybe some clarity is needed, the OP has a 10.5" barrel.

I find a 16" carbine gassed system finicky without a suppressor shooting subs.

I find a 10" carbine gassed barrel to be troublesome without a suppressor and subs. Not so bad with one.

Is that what you've experienced also? not too many shooting the short carbine barrels and interested in what they have found.
Bought a barrel for a truck gun build. Wanted a pistol but got a carbine. Wondering if I needed to return
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The problem with the cartridge and things that shoot it, is that it is just too versatile. The more info you can give, the better the answers will be tailored to what you are doing.

By the book, a 10.5" carbine gassed AR will not work, period.
The book defines working as full function, with and without a suppressor, both subs and supers.

Off the shelf or handloads will make a huge difference in what will work.

If you are willing to take the time, and for me it was, the effort to build an upper configured with a 10" barrel and loads was well worth it. Less noise, less gas, less recoil. I shoot 100% suppressed.

The flip side of that, is that the barrel was given to me because the previous owner couldn't make it work.

Shooting supers should be no problem without a suppressor, subs you will be limited to maybe three powders. Probably no off the shelf subs, I have not tried that.

Most people with any sense would probably return it. At some point I will probably buy another, if that helps explain anything :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Danno

Post by Danno »

dellet wrote:The problem with the cartridge and things that shoot it, is that it is just too versatile. The more info you can give, the better the answers will be tailored to what you are doing.

The book defines working as full function, with and without a suppressor, both subs and supers.

If you are willing to take the time, and for me it was, the effort to build an upper configured with a 10" barrel and loads was well worth it. Less noise, less gas, less recoil. I shoot 100% suppressed.

The flip side of that, is that the barrel was given to me because the previous owner couldn't make it work.

Shooting supers should be no problem without a suppressor, subs you will be limited to maybe three powders. Probably no off the shelf subs, I have not tried that.

Most people with any sense would probably return it. At some point I will probably buy another, if that helps explain anything :shock:
Thank you! That's exactly the answer I was looking for
sub-oldguy

Post by sub-oldguy »

dellet wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm The problem with the cartridge and things that shoot it, is that it is just too versatile. The more info you can give, the better the answers will be tailored to what you are doing.

Do you shoot any supers out of your 10.5” barrel with the suppressor on?

Do you have an adj gas block or worked on the gas port size?