BCA got raided yesterday - by ICE, for identity theft by some of its employees

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: BCA got raided yesterday - by ICE, for identity theft by some of its employees

Post by GunFunZS »

Funny thing is that I was working in DOC when obama took over. Deportations ramped way up when he took office, despite him having opposite rhetoric.

The data I've seen simply shows that the trump administration is mostly keeping up the trend, and enforcing old policies that were not consistently enforced. i.e. making temporary status actually temporary.

I spent about 20 minutes typing up an explanation of how incredibly messed up this system is at an individual level , but this stupid forum lately has been randomly logging me out, and preventing me from being able to post replies. I lost the text on like the 10th attempt to post it.

Suffice it to say that our system has no way to deal with the fact that Mexican names are frequently very similar and are often hyphenated, and it requires us to deal with the near infinite number of false positives on warrants we get. They use very old search engine logic designed to resolve near misses as hits, and don't have a system do deal with long last names. A guy whose name is Juan Hector Morales-mendoza might be in the system as Mendoza, morales, Moralesmendoza... Hector might not be listed, and Morales might be listed as his middle name. Oh and 90% of them fit the description 5' 7" brown hair brown eyes, particularly if the system adds a fudge factor, which it does. Then there's having Z instead of S as the last letter, so there's a whole new round of near misses.

This screws the honest, the legal, the illegal, the dishonest. For every guy who gets booked on something harmless like driving on an expired license, we would have to clear individually 60 or so false matches, and resolve warrants for guys with similar names. Then ice holds for guys with similar names. Then do it all again when he shows up for court.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: BCA got raided yesterday - by ICE, for identity theft by some of its employees

Post by GunFunZS »

The big explanation went into detail about how most people are booked for offenses that are matters of state law, since crimes are state issues per the constitution. Ditto the actual people doing the booking.

I worked at a county jail and we rented beds to ice. They always had 20-40 beds full at any given time. That does not count people who had ice holds, but were staying on time for local matters. Those guys would roll over onto ice hold when their local matters finished. Do a 3 week sentence for whatever? At the end, you have an automatic 48 hour ice hold, then Ice will roll you over onto a hold pending transport before that 48 hours is up. ICE pays the bill to the locals, for any time held on ICE time.

We also had automatic ice holds on anyone who got a hit for a state/county/city/tribal LEO arrest.

We also had ICE detainees who were booked in raids.

We also had ICE deportees being held in the process of transport.

Each had different rules and process, but ICE was in my work EVERY day resolving those. If you think ICE and local don't work together on this stuff, you really don't know what it is like.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GunFunZS wrote:The big explanation went into detail about how most people are booked for offenses that are matters of state law, since crimes are state issues per the constitution. Ditto the actual people doing the booking.

I worked at a county jail and we rented beds to ice. They always had 20-40 beds full at any given time. That does not count people who had ice holds, but were staying on time for local matters. Those guys would roll over onto ice hold when their local matters finished. Do a 3 week sentence for whatever? At the end, you have an automatic 48 hour ice hold, then Ice will roll you over onto a hold pending transport before that 48 hours is up. ICE pays the bill to the locals, for any time held on ICE time.

We also had automatic ice holds on anyone who got a hit for a state/county/city/tribal LEO arrest.

We also had ICE detainees who were booked in raids.

We also had ICE deportees being held in the process of transport.

Each had different rules and process, but ICE was in my work EVERY day resolving those. If you think ICE and local don't work together on this stuff, you really don't know what it is like.
Why didn't ICE just take them to the internment camps I read so much about?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Those are only things that exist when they catch groups at teh border itself.

We got people arrested for crimes, or at least ID checked for some reason that had probable cause for arrest.

ICE actually wanted to build a detention center in my town, but politics mostly about money stopped that. They wanted it to be secret for sneaky raids, and once people started complaining about the expense (and lost DOC union hours.....................................................)
That whole purpose ceased to exist.

Ironically that made our contract political, and they kinda rolled it back for a while before creeping back up to what we were doing all along.

I saw VERY few people who were being deported solely for illegal entry, but that doesn't mean my experience was representative. I was at a jail after all, which is not where they would take those people, unless they were completely out of other places to put them. Lot's of rules they don't want to break. Also just on principle.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

plant.one wrote:
B y r o n wrote:Apparently things have changed. When I worked the streets we couldn't get anyone from ICE or whatever it was called back then to even respond when we had someone in custody with purchased ID. Their response was always, "If they are still in custody when we make our county jail run we'll pick them up, if not then next time." Identify theft was always handled by local PD or PD where the theft was from.
welcome to an administration that cares about immigration law - and actual enforcement of it.

its a striking difference. and a welcome change for many of us who have wanted this kind of thing for years.

im also more than sure that local PD/Sheriff was on scene to assist in the raid. it doesnt specify in the article that they were there, but seeing as there's comments from the sheriff's dept - it stands to reason they were involved in more than press release about the event.

on the whole - identity theft of all kinds, be it by illegals or not - is a HUUUUUUUGE problem these days. probably even larger elephant in the room than illegal immigration is.

if using it as a tool to uncover illegals who are also committing that crime is what it takes, i'm glad we've got the ability to run that kinda stuff down.
Yes it is. Having had mine stolen it is a major PITA and can severely damage or ruin your credit, as well as deny you a firearms purchase if the person who stole your ID gets on the NCIC database for any reason. I for one am glad that FedGov is finally taking this stuff seriously.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Agreed. I had to replace my debit cards back in december. A nuisance, but no money lost.

Also back in IIRC 2000, when I got a job at a prosecutor's office, the thorough background check they did on me found that someone else was using my SSN.

So they reported it to some agency, but were prohibited by the permissions of their search access from telling me who the person was. Or really whether it ever fully resolved. Not the most satisfying answer.