for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by GunFunZS »

I saw that. The product would make way more sense if it were annealed. I am sure they have the machinery to do it efficiently for their own processes, so it's a shame they skipped that step.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

plant.one wrote:i think reddington announced dies were coming shortly.
I think Reddington said whoever ratted him out will die shortly. :mrgreen:
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

It's not perfect but I like the concept and I hope it takes off. Available off the shelf counts for a lot.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

It has me intrigued.

But.... I was also so intrigued in 1978 by the new Big Bore Model 94 in the awesome 375 Winchester cartridge that I ran out and bought one. Absolutley love it, but it flopped and never seemed to be really promoted well.

I’m hesitant to jump on this new Winchester caliber.

Still..... I do have an extra upper, BCG, charge handle, handguard and flash suppressor laying around so the cost of entry will be small; pretty much only need the barrel.

OK, damnit, I’m in. Anyone know who has barrels currently available?
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

What niche is it going to cover that isn't already accounted for? Kinda looks like another solution looking for an area of opportunity.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rlandry6 wrote:What niche is it going to cover that isn't already accounted for? Kinda looks like another solution looking for an area of opportunity.
One will be with people who can't seem to figure out how subsonic hunting works. Short fat bullet will dump energy quicker, make a larger entry and will likely help those people that think shooting through bones with an under powered bullet is a good idea. If they put a 250 plus grain load on the market, it will be very interesting.

As mentioned earlier, more and more states are requiring "straight wall" rifle cartridges. That means they have to be designed that way, not marketed as a hot load with high velocity in a long barrel. 357 Maximum is off the table, this cartridge is not. Probably part of the reason to make the case unique.

Some people like straight wall cartridges, I am one. I just don't like the headspace on the rim, but still interested.

The 35 Remington, designed aboput 1905, is a very well known short range, brush cartridge and one of the very few still in production from that era. This cartridge should have the same ballistics and if it can be loaded with a 200 grain bullet around 2000 fps, will put that performance in a modern semi-auto.

Personally I think this is a better idea than the 450 Bushmaster.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

this cartridge has onne target in mind - all the states that have opened up straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting. and the people in them who for whatever reason dont like or cant handle heavy recoiling calibers like the 450 bushmaster, 50 beowulf, etc.

i see it *ALL* the time over on the 450 forum - people asking how to tame recoil down, especailly for their kids.

and the addition of cheap plinking ammo (under 50 cents per) will be a huuuuuge boon to it. thats one thing everyone has cried about the 300 blk since it was released... cheap fmj ammo. and we finally have a manufacturer that solved that problem right from launch. i mean hell - 450 bushmaster cheapo ammo is $1/ea. 50 beowulf is like $1.20per.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Yeah. What plant just said.

I’ll be happy to be able to take an AR with me next season. My beloved, abandoned-by-its-maker, 375 Win cartridge’s over all length is just a smidgeon too long to be legal so that rifle is out. And, like many, I don’t tolerate the recoil of the 450 BM (nor of a 12 ga slug gun) very well.

A bareel, a barrel, my kingdom for a barrel!
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I mostly agree, with the Plant-one. He's dead on about who winchester wants to sell this cartridge to.

but I get tired of people moaning about how 300 BO is useless because it is expensive. It was at first, but that claim is really outdated. And even at its worst it was within the normal range for cost per shot of any rifle other than the two cheapest: 556 & 7.62x39. You could always get 300 BO for similar money to 30-30, or 270, or new production retail packed 308 or whatever. It mostly felt like a cheap shot from people who read internet posts and were jumping on an anti-bandwagon.

I think it has been a couple years since I have gone to a store and not seen at least one type of 300 BO in stock for less than $9/20. In practice it is cheaper than 45 ACP and don't hear the people moan about that. It is about a third the cost of 38 special at retail.

Frequently I see it in the 20cent a shot range, which is comparable with pistol rounds, and often 7.62x39. It has matured and just isn't really more expensive than anything comparable any more.

And don't get me wrong. When a friend is looking at getting his first AR or similar, and he brings up 300 BO, I steer him right to 556 because it is the cheapest, and probably is a better fit for what he is doing. I just find that the price complaint is spurious in context with what other things cost.

350 legend might be priced reasonably, but there is more material in it and it isn't going to be a high volume production item. It will never be a cheap plinker cartridge for the non-reloading public. It will be not stupid to take hunting.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

so where exactly are you findingg 300 blk for 20 cents a shhot?

its rare you can find 30cal bullets for 20 cents each...

#askingForAFriend
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.