Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: AR pistol sight options

Post by plant.one »

Sharkbite wrote:
I can take a few inches off the barrel and replace the stock with a brace
Not legally you cant.

If your gun started as a rifle, it will always be a rifle. You need to begin your build with a virgin receiver and make it a pistol FIRST.

Taking an existing rifle and shortening the barrel, regardless of what stock or brace you put on it, is a big no-no without an approved form 1.

you beat me to it sharkbite.

however - cabela's has Anderson stripped lowers for $50, so easy to get your hands on one. oakland tactiacl usually has them too, but i havent been in there recently to check if he has them in stock if you're out near the hartland/fenton area.

as a fellow Michigander who carries an ar-pistol as a "truck gun" i will advise this - you're looking at about a 9" barrel max. with a "standard" length flash hider on said 9" barrel (like an A2 birdcage w/ crush washer) you're going to come in real close to 25" - so just barely squeek by the 26" rule. at least without spending a buttload of $$$ to get a PDW type buffer assembly and bcg anyway. a 10.5" barrel you're gonna be over with even just a thread protector - or non threaded barrel.

im trying to add a law folder adapter to mine so that i can backpack carry it, and my choices were to find a super short muzzle device, go no muzzle device at all or go to an 8" barrel. thankfully i found a shorty break to get me the extra 3/4" i need to get under 26 without having to build a new upper or swap my barrel which i like very much.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Sharkbite wrote:
I can take a few inches off the barrel and replace the stock with a brace
Not legally you cant.

If your gun started as a rifle, it will always be a rifle. You need to begin your build with a virgin receiver and make it a pistol FIRST.

Taking an existing rifle and shortening the barrel, regardless of what stock or brace you put on it, is a big no-no without an approved form 1.
Worded wrong. I'm not turning a rifle into a pistol. I am building a new (other) lower into a pistol. I know the law
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dont take it personally - we're just trying to make sure you dont get into trouble. nobody here wants to see that from any of our members.

and where the law is concerned - the little details are what can make or break you.

a lot of people aren't aware of the intricacy's of the law - and we've seen statements likes yours multiple times in the past here. hell, i know that rule and i brain-farted at least once discussing converting a lower that i wasnt using. and there are many many many folks just dont understand that "if it starts as a rifle can never become a pistol" rule exists to begin with.

if you'd have submitted the RI-60 to register a pistol assembled like that here in Michigan - you'd have documented just that for the authorities to zing you with. putting yourself right into felony violation of NFA law territory.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I put a SeeAll on mine, very accurate and no batteries required. No parallax either, light weight.
Enfoto

AR pistol sight options

Post by Enfoto »

Now correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Spencers Gifts once sell a prop replica of the Laser Pistol fromThe Cage? And I dont mean the Playmates one.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

I have a few pistols to include one .300blk. Some have optics and others hard sights. Like them all. In the past few months I have purchased a Primary Arms 2.5x prism scope and 3x prism scope. They're my favorites. I have 20/10 eye sight but really appreciate a little magnification at 50 meters and out. They're all zeroed at 50m.

The first time I "ranged" at a near distance with the magnified prisms, it was a bit awkward. At perhaps 7 meters for both, it didn't take long at all to make the adjustment of the target being in my face. No biggie at all. I've probably fired 5-6 sessions and my acquisition is as quick as a 1x prism or a simple red dot.

"Sights" from top to bottom:
1. 2.5x PA compact prism scope
2. 3.0x PA compact prism scope
3. Hard sights
4. Holosun 510C red dot w/ MBUS
5. Hard sights