Question for Glock guys

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question for Glock guys

Post by MMA10mm »

I will say: my apologies for coming off gruff. I'm so sick of the boutique-shooters milling designs and decorations in their slides for cosmetic reasons with no regard for engineering. You have a very legitimate desire/reason for saving weight. It's just as everyone else has said: Not a good plan in your case...

I guess, another question would be: What do you want protection for, critters or bad people?

Have you thought of a S&W 329? As much of a Glock and 10mm fan as I am, I'd prefer the 44 Mag for wilderness use...
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Agree 100%. I was going to suggest the same until I read that he had already purchased the M29. The 329PD is lighter, more powerful if needed, and more versatile; meaning that one may tailor loads to whatever situation one wanted. Snakeshot, mid range loads, and light target loads, or .44 Spcl., for practice, with no concerns whatever IRT feeding and function. IMO, revolvers are the sine qua non of woods cruising handguns. No magazines to lose, varied loads readily accepted, and reliable with all ammo, without the "tap, rack, re-assess/bang" drills required for semi autos if a malfunction does occur. Of course I'm biased, as I prefer revolvers for woods cruising and backpacking for all of the above reasons.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

I will look into that. I bought the Glock right so I can easily make a little money on it. Now that it is in my possession, I see how much beefier it is than the G19 I recently sold. Most places I hike/camp I am primarily concerned with 2 legged snakes and I have lots of good options for that. I do, however, go places where there are things that can eat me which was the reason for investing in something with a little more bite. I do already own a S&W 1006 that I really enjoy shooting BUT it weighs way too much to backpack with.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

They also make derringers in calibers adequate for larger animals. Employing them in a hurry might be problematic and the recoil would be devastating. I can remember reading an article by a guy who has arthritis in his wrist and elbow that is attributed to him firing a box of shells out a 4" derringer chambered in 444 Marlin. I cannot imagine the recoil but they also make them in 45-70.

By removing weight of the slide you are going to increase felt recoil and possibly damage the gun. And that damage might not show up until the exact moment you need it, Murphy always kicks you in the nuts at the worst possible time. Not to mention the fact that if it does open earlier you run the risk of a case head separation which will be catastrophic for you if you are trying to save your life from an animal that is trying to eat you. A case head separation in a 10mm Glock will destroy it.

I am not a revolver guy at all. I haven't owned one in 30 years and haven't shot one in at least 20. But with that being said I think I would rather have a revolver in 44 magnum, 460 or even 500 S&W over a semi auto Glock in 10mm, especially a modified one.

I would reduce weight on something else that is not a life saving device instead modifying the Glock.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

Thanks, good advice that I will heed. I will say though that my 'base weight' is already very low and the option of reducing weight somewhere else isn't really there unless it is the motor that drives me (I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds off my 50-year-old mid-section...) I am looking into the revolver. Not sure the derringer idea is quite what I am after but that is also food for thought.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, here is a great review of the revolver suggested after the reviewer used it in the application I am after for 3 years and around 1000 rounds:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rm-review/

It weighs slightly less than the Taurus equivalent but both still weigh slightly more than the G29 so I guess it is a choice between 10mm and 44mag, not so much the quest to further reduce weight.

G29 - 24.69 oz
329PD - 25.1 oz
444 - 28.3
Yellow_13

Post by Yellow_13 »

Nah, I'd avoid milling the slide of your Glock if I were you. 10mm is a mean round that will need to be contained, otherwise it may blow up in your hands; some earlier Glock series were quite prone to this (to the point that some shops stopped selling them altogether, and the guns got nicknamed "Glocknades" online), so I wouldn't play with fire. Current versions are fine, but it's better not to take the slightest risk, especially if you're buying the gun to protect yourself against big animals. These damn things are resilient, so you don't want to go for light loads.
Or, yeah, you can try to look for a light-ish magnum calibre revolver, which will do the trick just fine.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Flatliner wrote:For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, here is a great review of the revolver suggested after the reviewer used it in the application I am after for 3 years and around 1000 rounds:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rm-review/

It weighs slightly less than the Taurus equivalent but both still weigh slightly more than the G29 so I guess it is a choice between 10mm and 44mag, not so much the quest to further reduce weight.

G29 - 24.69 oz
329PD - 25.1 oz
444 - 28.3
Here's the stats on the 329PD:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd

As I said, I prefer revolvers for utility work, as they are more versatile, and less temperamental IRT differing loads.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I carry a G29 regularly thru the winter months. Love my G20 too. I have a few after market barrels as mentioned and love the KKM product.

Sage advice, if your gonna shoot factory 10, (Other then real 10MM loads) buy a Glock in 40cal. its NOT a slight, the Glock 40 catches slack, but if you read between the lines its because the Sally's cannot handle the "snappy" caliber... Let along them shooting a real 10MM. :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: These same companies that offer real 10MM loads have healthy 40 loads that are NO SLOUCHES!! The Glock 40 series is lighter thinner and easier to carry.

many videos on uTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... le+kit+bag

Take the $$ you would have spent on the work and buy ammo and a GOOD holster/holster bag. I recommend Hill People gear bag. Its a chest bag and It functions WITH any pack. Very comfortable & offered in a couple sizes. I love mine for riding bike, SxS or horse. Take that ammo and learn to shoot, shoot allot and shoot often. You should be shooting what you carry, at the very least, partially.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

The intent is REAL 10mm loads. Were I to buy a 40, no offense intended to anyone, I hate Glocks and would get an M&P. I have never been able to get over the grip angle thing, even when I carried a 19 for a couple years and practiced with it regularly. The reason for the 29 was simply that it was the smallest 10mm I found.