Two piece AR scope mount- bridging the gap

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Two piece AR scope mount- bridging the gap

Post by BlogSarge »

I’m struggling to find a comfortable position for a scope on my SBR. I don’t want to extend the stock too much (defeats the purpose of an SBR) and my scope needs a bit too much eye relief. I tried a two piece with one ring on the receiver and one on the foreend but group size suffered. I switched to a one piece Warne pushed as far ahead as I can on the receiver and cut an inch or so off the group size at 100yds.

My question: How many folks use a two piece with one ring ahead of the receiver, and does it ususlly make much difference in precision.

Rifle is a stock Noveske 10.5 inch SBR. Trigger is an ALG ACT. Scope is a Trijicon 1-8.

Thanks,
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Two piece AR scope mount- bridging the gap

Post by Omega »

How about an extended rail, like this, maybe not as long but you get the idea.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Omega wrote:How about an extended rail, like this, maybe not as long but you get the idea.
Thanks Omega. I’ve been toying with that idea, but don’t really want to add much more weight. The scope is a beast, and the can on the end doesn’t help either!
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Put a pistol scope on it.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I prefer this. Have 3 of them. Come with rounded top ring in the box as well. 1 inch and 30mm available
Burris Optics AR-P.E.P.R. Scope Mount - 1-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-S ... fkmrnull_1
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

smustian wrote:I prefer this. Have 3 of them. Come with rounded top ring in the box as well. 1 inch and 30mm available
Burris Optics AR-P.E.P.R. Scope Mount - 1-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-S ... fkmrnull_1
I put a Warne one piece like that on it. Works well, but it’d be perfect if I could move the scope ahead just a bt more. The grooves on the receiver and handrail aren’t spaced in time with each other, so I can’t let the front crossbar of the mount slide into the rear slot of the handrail like I do on all of my other ARs.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

Primary arms makes two versions of a mount like the Burris. One puts the scope quite a bit farther forward. Take a look at it.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... padlxsmext

I have one, it works as well as the three Burris mounts in the above link that I have work. (read the reviews though, the cross screws are AL and they can be stripped so care must be taken not to over torque them. I used a torque wrench and stipped one so I put the replacement on at less than the recommended torque and have not had any further issues.)
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Torque spec for scope rings is only 18-20 in/lbs. I use a Wheeler torque driver to mount all of my scopes and have never twisted off a screw.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i run the nikon p223 mounts on several of my guns, including my blackout pistol.

if i needed to move the scope any more forward i would just reverse the rings so that the offset is toward the muzzle and i could easily move it quite a bit more towards the muzzle without ever leaving the receiver. as you can see by the pic below, you could position the rear of the scope damn near at the brass deflector - at least with my scope anyway.

HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey plant!

Hope all is going well. We should meet up; I might have a ‘little’ bit of brass for ya!