I have an idea that can work. Need everyone's help!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

AggieJim
Silent Operator

Re: I have an idea that can work. Need everyone's help!

Post by AggieJim »

I wouldn't but it could possiblly be done. It will a lot of tuning, new barrel, and rounds within the chamber pressure rating for the M1. It will require lots of work with the ammo for reliability.

Adding a scope can be done, it has been done on the M14/M1A.

Have patience, time, and money for this project.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Mike 7.62 - I see the issues you mention and I am, at the present, not really sure how to overcome these issues. I hate to throw my hands up in the air and say, "I quite", but I also don't want to spend energies needlessly when good advice is being given here. As far as the scope, I am fine sticking with iron sights. I prefer to be proficient with those and then go to an optic in the case I need to use my BUIS. I am not too concerned about LONG range per say because where I am, 400 yards is about long range. When I lived in NE, 1000 yards was a good range out to 1200 which I have a friend who would hit that consistently. I do have a thought that I will ask in a minute.

AggieJim - The guy I am talking with is willing to turn a barrel. Especially if this works out to be a solid gun that he can then market as his own. The ammo is a limiting factor. and as far as scope goes, I am not dependent on it.

Now, some new thoughts. I was told that placements of the individual parts are paramount for the gun to function flawlessly. It was also told that the gun is not designed for such a heavy amount of pressure and abuse for long term. So, here is my questions. I have NEVER seen a browning up close so know nothing about the chamber itself. I am wondering if a chamber could be had from an old browning that is not being used, then modify the wooden stock that surrounds the chamber to mimic the look of the M1 directly. Then have the barrel fitted with an adjustable gas block to help alleviate the over pressure? I know it is not a true M1 but this idea was not necessarily about making a true identical. With this set up, the chamber will be a tad wider than normal, the internals will be designed to work with the WM already and all that would be needed is the little odd and end stuff.

My only issue is that the bullet is ejected from the side and not the top so that would have to be taken into consideration.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Jarem08 wrote:Mike 7.62 - I see the issues you mention and I am, at the present, not really sure how to overcome these issues. I hate to throw my hands up in the air and say, "I quite", but I also don't want to spend energies needlessly when good advice is being given here. As far as the scope, I am fine sticking with iron sights. I prefer to be proficient with those and then go to an optic in the case I need to use my BUIS. I am not too concerned about LONG range per say because where I am, 400 yards is about long range. When I lived in NE, 1000 yards was a good range out to 1200 which I have a friend who would hit that consistently. I do have a thought that I will ask in a minute.

AggieJim - The guy I am talking with is willing to turn a barrel. Especially if this works out to be a solid gun that he can then market as his own. The ammo is a limiting factor. and as far as scope goes, I am not dependent on it.

Now, some new thoughts. I was told that placements of the individual parts are paramount for the gun to function flawlessly. It was also told that the gun is not designed for such a heavy amount of pressure and abuse for long term. So, here is my questions. I have NEVER seen a browning up close so know nothing about the chamber itself. I am wondering if a chamber could be had from an old browning that is not being used, then modify the wooden stock that surrounds the chamber to mimic the look of the M1 directly. Then have the barrel fitted with an adjustable gas block to help alleviate the over pressure? I know it is not a true M1 but this idea was not necessarily about making a true identical. With this set up, the chamber will be a tad wider than normal, the internals will be designed to work with the WM already and all that would be needed is the little odd and end stuff.

My only issue is that the bullet is ejected from the side and not the top so that would have to be taken into consideration.
If you are not going to use the rifle for anything much over 400 yards, then just use a standard M1 in .30-06. A 180 gr. FB bullet at 2620 f/s is only 8" lower than a 180 gr. FB bullet at 3000 f/s. Using a max point blank range zero of 10", or 4.26" high at 100 yards, the 180 at 2620 is good to 319 yards with a center hold, and the 180 gr. bullet at 3000 f/s-3.84 high at 100 yds.-is good to 361 yards. That's a difference of 42 yards range extension between the two. Is it worth the money, headaches, and technical difficulties converting an M1 to 300 WM to gain an advantage of 42 yards?

In answer to your second question, restocking a Browning BAR and using an adjustable gas block etc., you are again spending lots of money, time, and effort to gain something purely esthetic. IMO it is not worth the effort. Just buy the BAR in 300 WM, or buy the M1 in .30-06, and have done. Anything else makes MY head hurt in technical modifications.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Have a buddy that bought a Nemo 300 Win. Mag. It is so ruff on the brass, even with the gas dialed down, it's unusable after one firing. I can't imagine how rough an old op rod system would be. Might be better but still ruff. Aint trying to kill your idea but it's a magnum cartridge best suited for a bolt gun. Think component cost here, brass aint cheap.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Good morning. Sorry for the delay in response as this last month has been a bear with projects. I am now about out of the woods and can actually step out from requirements and into hobbies for a little!

As I had been asking and looking, it seems the project may be more dangerous than I originally thought. It seems as though the aspect of creating the firearm weakens parts that are of necessity. Added into the mix is the higher pressure and I am going to have a gun that is going to be very hard on parts and will potential have a breakdown at the worst time possible.

Unless I am wrong, it seems as though this project is best left as a 30-06 as was recommended.

As far as the Nemo, Rebel, I didn't know the gun was that hard on brass!
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!