Shot this a couple of weeks ago

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Shot this a couple of weeks ago

Post by rebel »

My new hunting rig. 6BR, 105 gr Berger HVLD, 29.7 gr if Varget seated .001 into the lands.
Conditions - overcast, light rain, intermittent 10 to 12 mph gusts of wind to calm.
5 shots, 100 yards, two witnesses.
Group measured .047
Still assessing why my 5th shot dropped a bit.
Sorry for the fuzzy closeup. I was testing loads in another rifle that weren't great and printing 3 inches high, all around this group. My friends begged me to stop as they thought I would goof up the group. Kinda glad I did. Damn rifle will shoot.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shot this a couple of weeks ago

Post by dellet »

Looks like with a bit of work on focus and lighting, you’ll be able to shoot some real nice pictures with your new camera.

Look forward to seeing some. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Yeah, that damn phone annoys me. Here is the original, 3 surrounding shots are 6x45 , 75 gr sierra and a powder that just didn't work. You can see why I stopped shooting it.

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I see dellet gave you some lessons about how to punch holes with a pencil and leave black smudges.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

No smus, that is the same target from the last post of my hunting rig thread. I posted it again to maybe start a discussion of body position and accuracy, or just better shooting in general. My first 5 shot string was not fantasmal - 3 in about a 1/4 inch with a cold bore and a called flyer opening the group up to like .70. I let the barrel cool and realized I had been shooting beside the rifle instead of behind it. That group was fired with me behind the gun.
I watched a video a while back of BR ace, Sam Hall explaining his method and why he had made the switch to shooting behind the rifle.
This is not that video, it's Sam plugging his new SEB rest, which I cannot begin to afford. Skip to 3.30 in the video to watch him shoot and you will see what I am talking about.
https://youtu.be/Tf4FaaAttOQ
You might wonder, "Ok, great but I don't have a BR rifle. Well, neither do I. Being a working guy means I need to have my rifles perform multiple roles. Because I don't compete formally, just the occasional fun match at the club, I hunt, shoot and reload for enjoyment, I can't see spending my money on a target specific rifle.
Still, Mr. Hall's suggestions bear merit. It takes a bit of getting use to but I find much easier to be repeatable. If we strive to reload shells the same way each and every time, why not try to shoot that way as well?
Just passing on a little knowledge I obtained so that could some improve their shooting.

So this....

As opposed to this......

Give it a try.