.22 LR (conceptual question)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

.22 LR (conceptual question)

Post by alamo5000 »

Until I got into 300 BLK I had only heard of "powder coated" bullets and up until just a few months ago I had never tried nor used or even heard of "Hi Tek" coating.

I consider myself to know at least something about shooting in general but the whole cast/coated bullet thing was really new and the coating thing has been a learning experience. Since then though Hi Tek coating has been fascinating to me.

My synopsis here though is about .22LR... I wonder if or why or what would be the results of using Hi Tek coating on .22LR bullets?

Would it make suppressors run more clean? All other things being equal I wonder why or why not try something like that from a manufacturing standpoint? Considering the popularity of suppressors and the speed at how fast a rimfire can will get filthy it makes me wonder why they don't have more 'clean' .22LR ammo?

I understand it's not just the bullet that makes it clean but powders and so forth too but my point stands.

On a side note I REALLY wish I was able to reload .22LR from the ground up. I could cast my own bullets and do the whole 9 yards. I assume the machinery to make .22LR is quite expensive and the idea of working with high explosives (particularly batches of raw priming compound) would require federal licenses etc.

Even if a company would sell primed brass that would be great. I could make my own match grade ammo at will and have subsonic ammo on demand.

Side note to this story is I have a pretty pricey 10/22 KIDD build that just loves Federal Ultramatch ammo. It shoots that stuff REALLY well. I will probably bite the bullet and fork out several hundreds of dollars for a case of that ammo eventually. It's subsonic and it's extremely accurate.

I am kind of straying from my original topic here but hopefully you guys get the idea of my thinking out loud.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22 LR (conceptual question)

Post by dellet »

Couple of companies are doing it, I tried some of the CCI on 4th of July, shot like cheap 22's. Bought the marketing of the "Patriot Pack" was fun to give it to some kids.

No reason you can't load your own, people do that with rimfire.
viewtopic.php?t=100716
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

The main thing to pay attention to with .22lr ammo after reliability of priming, and whether they bother to crimp the stuff in solidly is diameter.

Measure the stuff your gun likes with calipers. It's a heeled bullet, so you don't have to pull the bullet even to get the diameter you want. Make sure anything you buy for that gun is the same size or a little bigger.

A few years ago fortunecookie45lc and 1957Shep did a collaboration with a bunch of us on youtube. We found huge variation, and also that very consistently what people found their gun liked or hated was directly keyed to diameter. Huge variations within guns, too, including within brand and model. You might find FC's videos on the topic to be interesting and informative.

Someone made a nice spreadsheet of the data that everyone contributed, but I don't know where to search to find it, and I don't know what I did with it.

The coated stuff won't lead your barrel if it is undersized, but it will probably still group badly.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I've had a few boxes of the green and red CCI Christmas rounds, which seem to be MiniMags with poly coating instead of copper wash. They shoot to the same POI as MiniMags, as far as I could tell using them offhand at steel matches. CCI uses a good priming procedure.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

alamo5000 wrote:

Side note to this story is I have a pretty pricey 10/22 KIDD build that just loves Federal Ultramatch ammo. It shoots that stuff REALLY well. I will probably bite the bullet and fork out several hundreds of dollars for a case of that ammo eventually. It's subsonic and it's extremely accurate.

I am kind of straying from my original topic here but hopefully you guys get the idea of my thinking out loud.
since you hijacked your own thread, have you tried norma subsonic yet?

my 10/22 (not as fancy as your KIDD) absolutely loves the stuff, and the last batch i picked up was $0.085 per round... midsouth has been running some great sales on it recently.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.