LtCol Ollie North, USMC (Ret) and the NRA

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

LtCol Ollie North, USMC (Ret) and the NRA

Post by BoomerVF14 »

Threads about the NRA are always chock full of heartfelt sentiments on the pros/cons, but I haven't seen much roll across my 300BlkTalk feed about what the future may hold for the organization under Oliver North.

The whole Iran-Contra thing happened when I was in HS, before I really got my political stances in order. (I was certain I was pro-contra though, even if I couldn't convincingly articulate "why" :lol: ) So, upon hearing the news he was elected President (only of the NRA, for now at least :P ) I took the opportunity to pull an old 1992 gift to my late father off his now-dusty bookcase shelf - an autographed copy of "Under Fire: An American Story" I had bought for Dad at a USNA book signing - and gave it a read during some airport layovers. It was well worth the time: the parallels between the independent counsel witch hunt that set out to hang Ollie back in the 80s and today's nonsense are strikingly similar. And just like Dick Marcinko in "Rogue Warrior", North's early and prescient understanding of the threat of Islamic extremism has proven correct three decades hence. Would that more had listened.

Anyway, I'd call myself optimistic. He's got that same celebrity feel about him the Charleton Heston did, although maybe not quite to that level. It might be interesting to see if the gun-banners try to resurrect any of the smears that were rampant back in Ollie's Iran-Contra days.

For the NRA skeptics - do you see more of the same? Or perhaps a chance for something more than warmed-over half-measures? I've been pro- and anti- NRA at various points in my life; I'm currently a 5-year member thanks to the uncertain future back in Fall 2016 (until they piss me off again :mrgreen: ).

Regardless of one's stance, I don't think anyone could dispute Ollie's capability to handle himself under the spotlight. Let's hope for the best.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: LtCol Ollie North, USMC (Ret) and the NRA

Post by hardcase »

I'm an NRA member and make contributions from time to time to their PAC, especially if they offer a free gift :lol: . I have a drawer full of NRA pocket knives.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: LtCol Ollie North, USMC (Ret) and the NRA

Post by John A. »

He should fit right in with the NRA.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/05/15/ne ... waco-raid/
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.