Looks like the Army is getting a couple new calibers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Looks like the Army is getting a couple new calibers

Post by John A. »

And the blackout isn't one of them apparently.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... er-bullet/

From the article above:

6.5 Creedmoor in sniper platforms

M249 Squad Automatic Weapon - The most likely 6.8-millimeter round under consideration is the 6.8 SPC
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looks like the Army is getting a couple new calibers

Post by Mike7.62 »

Sounds like a logistical nightmare if you ask me.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

The idea of a 6.8spc M249 does sort of make me drool a little bit. I'm not going to lie.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

some people have been trying for a while for any caliber you can imagine.

The reading I have done suggests that none of those will get adopted, though some may get some purchasing for trials or individual guns will be bought by soldiers who are in the position to pick their own tools.

The companies selling the new kit, and various people who really hope it will happen continually post clickbait any time there is any consideration that it's going to happen. However, for the military, what they have is working, and if they are going to beg congress for more money, it will go to bigger things than small arms. - the tools that keep people busy until artillery and air support do the fighting.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

My thoughts - - ->
The US military (all branches,all components) will never adopt the 6.8SPC or the 300BLK for use in warfighting.
BTW . . . (full disclosure) . . . I own multiples of both chamberings. They do have their place in my "tool bag". ---- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i though the 300blk was already in use in specialty positions?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

They did order a few but that's not the same as adoption. I am sure that the guys who can pick their own stuff have a few of them too.

I think an sbs 300 blackout has merit as a PDW, but if the military were to adopt 300 blackout in any scale , they would have issues with Grunts beating them into their 556 rifles, and kaboom. military history shows that it would be necessary to make the round even more incompatible with 223 as a safety factor . There's always that one guy you can't teach . The bigger the organization the more that one guy you have . It's no big deal for a couple special forces type dudes to actually know their way around the gun and keep their ammo straight , but anything like widescale adoption would have widescale problems .