I saw for the first time, an open carry in NC

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: I saw for the first time, an open carry in NC

Post by Dr.Phil »

While I'm not an open carry fan, here are the pros that I can see:
- No lisc requirement other than a purchase permit.
- Lower liability due to not being formally educated on use of force law. (At least in NC)
- The more people that open carry, the more normalized the general public becomes to firearms.

For defensive use, I do not see any up side to open carry.
As previously stated, it makes you a target and even a possible source of more fire power.

That I absolutely can not stand, is folks open carrying that also have a BS badge next to the holster.

It reminds me of the way douche bondsman mislead the public with their badges / attire.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:While I'm not an open carry fan, here are the pros that I can see:
- No lisc requirement other than a purchase permit.
- Lower liability due to not being formally educated on use of force law. (At least in NC)
- The more people that open carry, the more normalized the general public becomes to firearms.

For defensive use, I do not see any up side to open carry.
As previously stated, it makes you a target and even a possible source of more fire power.

That I absolutely can not stand, is folks open carrying that also have a BS badge next to the holster.

It reminds me of the way douche bondsman mislead the public with their badges / attire.
Fugitive recovery was the specialty of on old customer I had. He was getting burned out on the job and close to retirement, so they gave him a desk job in Texas to ride it out. That was a couple weeks before Waco went down and he ended up in the thick of it.

We were in the parking lot just a few days after that when a passing car backfired. Next thing I knew my customer was on the ground with a full size pistol that he had to of drawn out of his ass. He was wearing a tight muscle man t shirt tucked in, and reasonably tight pants. The kind of outfit that if you were sizing up victims, you would be pretty sure he wasn’t carrying a pack of gum. Interesting guy to talk how to carry concealed with.

Same guy had interesting views on gun control. Told me he didn’t see the point in it. Talked about kicking in a door and having a bazooka pointed at him. Asked me “ you think that guy cared about gun control laws”.

Open carry and visible truck guns are still very common here. Weather dictates how often you see it. Hard to get a shoulder holster to fit over a parka.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

steven11b wrote:Here in AZ open carry is common. I usually always conceal carry but when going out into desert I always open carry to and from.
In my experience, this is the real key. What is the 'norm' for your situation/culture/setting. I am not interested in being associated with the 'open carry' crowd where I live. Open carry, while legal, is certainly not normal and is clearly grandstanding by ignorant people who fail to understand their liability when questioned. In addition, all that I have spoken to have an axe to grind with even the basics of process, like taking a gun safety class, or knowing it isn't legal to shoot the running shoplifter in the back...

However, with that said, when I am in a different setting, say hiking in the back country somewhere bumping into lethal creatures is a possibility, open carry makes total sense and I have practiced it on more than a few occasions.
Beard111

Post by Beard111 »

If you are fans of leather check out http://www.craftholsters.com/
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel wrote:
golfindia wrote:I look at It this way; If you have the cajones to walk around showing the enemy your full hand, you better have some substantial skills.
I agree 100%. I kinda like "surprise mfer....." POW

im with you on that.

i OC, from time to time, but usually only because its winter, i've got an OWB holster on and my coat happens to be off. or i'm out on the property and then IDGAF comes into play and its just convenience.

but otherwise... yea.. its in my pocket, out of sight. and with all the crap people carry in their pockets these days, nobody looks twice. its truly amazing still with the number of people who i have shown over the years cant hardly believe their eyes when you just casually pull a subcompact 40 or snubby 38 outa your pocket that they had no clue was there - even though you just had a conversation about being a CCW holder.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.