6.5 Grendel?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rookie07
Silent Operator

6.5 Grendel?

Post by rookie07 »

Anyone on here have one? I’m sure it will kill deer. Looking to maybe get one for my daughter.

She shoots the RARR in 300 blk right now for deer. I like the 300 blk a lot because it has very little noise and blast compared to a 243 and up.

Wondering how the Grendel would compare in that department? Considering the Howa 1500 mini action rifle.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: 6.5 Grendel?

Post by Dr.Phil »

6.5 Grendel is very similar to 300 BLK in one regard.
It is a perfect way to get similar type ballistics normally found in an AR10 platform in a light AR15 platform.
A well designed Grendel will give you ballistics that mirror a 308 Win.

If you are doing a bolt gun build, there are much better options though.
6.5 Creedmore is a very good option.

Be more specific with what you are looking to achieve and I'll see were I can help.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Dr.Phil wrote:6.5 Grendel is very similar to 300 BLK in one regard.
Yeah, it's a novelty round. Never gonna catch on. :lol:
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

If you are looking for a rifle that will reach out and touch something at ranges beyond what a BLK can realistically achieve without a big increase in blast or recoil then a Grendel is a good choice. Hornady makes factory ammo for it in both the SST/ELD-X hunting bullets and Amax/ELD-M target bullets. If you handload then the possibilities go up from there. Mine is a 18" barreled AR15 and as much as I love my 308AR, if I had built the Grendel first I probably wouldn't have built the 308.

Any questions you might have about the Howa or Grendels in general can be answered here:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

They are a great bunch of guys.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

My next build after my 300 blk sbr will be a 6.5 Grendel. My plan is to replace my existing 308 AR, with a bolt gun afterwards.

1. Is a 20-22 inch barrel too for hunting?
2. How quickly will it drop a deer with decent shot placement.
3. Saw another post were a guy made a good shot, but lost the deer because there was no blood trail. A dog found the kill later. This something I want to avoid if at all possible.
4. Any other advice for a 6.5 build?
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

I guess it would help to know what the 300 blk is not doing for your daughter now? In my opinion if she is shooting within 100 yds and the blackout is easy for her to shoot and handle there isnt really much advantage in moving to a Grendel.

If you want to extend her reach then a Grendel in the AR platform is a good choice. If your looking at a bolt gun anyway then I would move to a creedmoor if you like the 6.5 performance. You can put a brake on it and reduce the recoil if that is a consideration or even experiment with reduced power loads.

These cartridges are designed around and within the limitations of the AR15 platform and in that context they are impressive. In the bolt gun I think they make sense as another way to use the cartridge you already invested to in an AR. As a stand alone in a bolt gun, I think they make less sense. (exceptions apply here and the 300 Blk leads)

If you just want to experience another cartridge, the Grendel like the 300 Blk is an interesting cartridge that will keep your attention.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
rookie07
Silent Operator

Post by rookie07 »

dpete wrote:If you are looking for a rifle that will reach out and touch something at ranges beyond what a BLK can realistically achieve without a big increase in blast or recoil then a Grendel is a good choice. Hornady makes factory ammo for it in both the SST/ELD-X hunting bullets and Amax/ELD-M target bullets. If you handload then the possibilities go up from there. Mine is a 18" barreled AR15 and as much as I love my 308AR, if I had built the Grendel first I probably wouldn't have built the 308.

Any questions you might have about the Howa or Grendels in general can be answered here:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

They are a great bunch of guys.
This is precisely the reason - more range, more energy, very little increase in muzzle blast and recoil.

I am a firm believer that muzzle blast induces more flinch and bad habits than recoil in normal calibers i.e. 30/06 and under.

I do handload - a lot. I like the 300 blk because I think the fast burning pistol powder produces less muzzle blast in comparison to similar rifle powders.

However, I was just reading a thread in the hunting forum where tallburnedmidget stated that he has seen on average more of his deer run up to 120 yards while using the blackout in comparison to other calibers. I tend to agree.

We have killed 4 in 2 years with this morning being the 4th and her second deer and second buck ever.

40 to 45 yard shot with 125 grain Hornady sst and he went a little over 100 yards.

Last year I loaded the Barnes 110 black tips. Today's buck didn't bleed a lot, but that was due to exit wound. The bullet turned and went rearward coming out the lower end of the sternum. I can't complain - they were all dead.

I have thought about getting her a 243 eventually, but a short 243 has tremendous muzzle blast. She can't freehand the RARR anyway. She has to have a surface to rest the rifle on.

On paper the Grendel looks to be a good in-between caliber. Who knows, with Lapua brass and a great bullet it may be all she ever needs.

PLUS, I would LOVE to have one of those Howa minis with heavy barrel!

A great advantage to the RARR 300 blk is the mechanics are exactly the same for her 22 which is the Ruger American Rimfire Predator model. She shoots it very well.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Love this lil bugger!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

I'm starting on an upper to swap out with my 5.56. Thinking 20" barrel, but is there really much difference in accuracy/velocity with a 22" enough to be worth the extra length? I guess my real question is, what would be considered the sweet spot in barrel length with these?
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I just jumped into the Grendel caliber. Went with a 12.5 inch upper with a faxon match barrel. Am also looking to replace my 308 AR pistol. Looking at the ballistics, this caliber in a AR15 platform is great. Unfortunately commercial ammo and bullets are in short supply. Am hoping it’s temporary but get on lists for either one you need. Can get a 123 SST to stay supersonic @1000 yards so longer barrels can achieve better results. Almost went 6.5 CM but didn’t want another AR10 platform. You won’t go wrong going with this caliber. Just be aware of the shortage.