Anyone have experience with CMMG rimfire conversion kits??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Anyone have experience with CMMG rimfire conversion kits??

Post by hardcase »

I have a gas piston AR 15/5.56 I don't use much. I'm assuming this conversion uses recoil and not the gas system.

How hard is it to install and remove?

Recommend or pass on it for $150.00 new from major gun supplier?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have experience with CMMG rimfire conversion kits??

Post by Sig220 »

I don't use a piston AR, but I do have a CMMG .22 conversion kit and I love mine!

I paid more and got the stainless unit as it cleans easier (I use cheap brake cleaner)!

Installation is as easy as removing the bolt group and sliding the conversion in.

The magazines seem to be the weak point and I found the Black Dog magazines to work the
best and be constructed the best. IMHO. I still had a crap load of .22 ammo through the shortage
and shot a metric ton of it! Oil it up (I use Rem oil) and see how quick 25 rounds of will go up in smoke!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Sig220 wrote:I don't use a piston AR, but I do have a CMMG .22 conversion kit and I love mine!

I paid more and got the stainless unit as it cleans easier (I use cheap brake cleaner)!

Installation is as easy as removing the bolt group and sliding the conversion in.

The magazines seem to be the weak point and I found the Black Dog magazines to work the
best and be constructed the best. IMHO. I still had a crap load of .22 ammo through the shortage
and shot a metric ton of it! Oil it up (I use Rem oil) and see how quick 25 rounds of will go up in smoke!
Your post tipped me over the edge, like I really need another .22. The info on stainless was helpful as this is what was offered with a 25 rd mag and free shipping for $149.99.

I haven't felt like so much of a gun freak since there was a plumber working on our house that said he had 133 guns.

Trouble is now I'll have to build another lower and buy another .22 can :lol: . I have a stripped lower in a drawer just waiting for some sort of an excuse.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

hardcase wrote:
Sig220 wrote:I don't use a piston AR, but I do have a CMMG .22 conversion kit and I love mine!

Your post tipped me over the edge, like I really need another .22. The info on stainless was helpful as this is what was offered with a 25 rd mag and free shipping for $149.99.

I haven't felt like so much of a gun freak since there was a plumber working on our house that said he had 133 guns.

Trouble is now I'll have to build another lower and buy another .22 can :lol: . I have a stripped lower in a drawer just waiting for some sort of an excuse.

Dam that's a good price.
By the they get here they want dann near 600 bucks or about 500usd
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

hardcase wrote:

It is a sickness.......you know. I hate to buy a new muzzle brake.....it will lead to a new barrel, new upper and before its over with another lower! :shock:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I tried to use one of cmmg's barrels and barrel collar with a ceiner bolt and rails that I already had.

Didn't work good at all. Couldn't get it to run without several failures per mag.

Use the ceiner conversion in a 223 barrel and it'll work and work and work without a problem.

CMMG did stand behind the product and gave me a full refund for it.

I would buy from them again based on their customer service though the barrel and conversion should've had no problems being compatible with each other based on the design.

I have been considering buying a taccom 22lr barrel and collar to try considering they're on sale for about $120 but haven't gotten around to it. To many other irons in the fire right now.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I have and still have a Ceiner kit in a box somewhere. :roll:

I will admit it is probably 30 to 40 years old, and it was all that was available other then the
pay out your nose Colt kits. But it was a PIA to use. Had to custom file the bolt to get the dust cover closed, sand the rails to get
reliable function and the "barrel" developed a split. The extractor broke...I had to make a new one.... Don't think for a minute Ceiner would stand behind those kits. :lol:

My CMMG kit has ran like a top from the time it was pulled from the package. Cleans easy as well. I use it in a Colt Sporter, my Rock River and my other AR's. Some with a .223 chamber and some with the 5.56. To the 22 kit, it didn't matter.... 8)
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Walkers Bay wrote:
hardcase wrote:

Dam that's a good price.
Why would they cost so much in New Zealand? Is there a VAT tax involved? I've never really understood how VAT taxes are computed. Your price is over 3x the US price. I always thought OZ had pretty loose gun laws but this sounds like an anti-firearms kind of thing and it is not adding a new firearm to the mix of citizen owned guns.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

hardcase wrote:
Walkers Bay wrote:
hardcase wrote:

Dam that's a good price.
Why would they cost so much in New Zealand? Is there a VAT tax involved? I've never really understood how VAT taxes are computed. Your price is over 3x the US price. I always thought OZ had pretty loose gun laws but this sounds like an anti-firearms kind of thing and it is not adding a new firearm to the mix of citizen owned guns.
Most of the Mark up is getting the permit to export them it's the exchange rate after that. Then someone wants a profitable business.
We have far more lax gun laws than oz. You can't get autos or semi autos in oz. Pistols are 125mm in length with a mag limit of 10 and no bigger than 9mm.
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scratch »

I also have a CMMG stainless kit and love mine. Ya know... I'm not sure if I've ever had a malfunction in it that wasn't obviously ammo related, and I run the cheapest ammo I can through it.
There's a good chance I shoot .22lr through my ARs more than I shoot 5.56.

The only thing I don't like about it is that when the mag holds the bolt back on empty, which I like... But won't drop free because of the tension there. And as you pull the mag out, the bolt slides forward so you can't train exactly like a standard AR.

But I still love mine.

Edit: I don't have a piston gun though...