New Record Long Range Sniper Kill - 3,540 Meters

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Luke2236
Silent Operator

New Record Long Range Sniper Kill - 3,540 Meters

Post by Luke2236 »

A member of the Canadian Forces JTF2 in support of Iraqi military operations, using a McMillan TAC-50:

http://popularmilitary.com/canadians-ta ... ty+Soldier
Canadian Coast Guard - Retired
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Record Long Range Sniper Kill - 3,540 Meters

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I can't wait for my 50. Been a year in the making.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

If only kids knew how useful math really is...
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by QuietMike »

Gotta wonder what scope and at what power would let you see a person at over two miles with mirage clear enough for that shot.
My S&B is great glass, but it ain't that good.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

QuietMike wrote:Gotta wonder what scope and at what power would let you see a person at over two miles with mirage clear enough for that shot.
My S&B is great glass, but it ain't that good.
You need the Hubble scope for that one!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

Some more details courtesy of a SOFREP article:

SOFREP Exclusive: The inside story of Canada’s JTF2 record-breaking sniper kill

SOFREP Original Content

By Jack Murphy| 06.22.2017

#Expert Analysis

The Canadian snipers had carefully chosen their hide site. From an elevated position, the Special Operations sniper looked through his scope at a stationary human target leaning against a cement wall over two miles away. The four-man sniper team had been pushing their shots out further and further into Mosul over the course of several days, taking down ISIS terrorists in long-range engagements. Now, they were about to make history.

Three Canadian sniper detachments have been active in Mosul, Iraq. Two of those sniper detachments hail from Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR) and one from Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2), both units falling under Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM). CSOR handles tasks commonly associated with American units such as Special Forces and Rangers while JTF2 is Canada’s counter-terrorism unit, filling a role similar to Delta Force. That CSOR is in Kurdistan conducting an advise and assist mission is public knowledge. JTF2 was accidentally exposed in theater by a video released in 2015. What the Trudeau administration doesn’t want people to know is that Canadian troops are actively involved in combat. Like many other western governments, the advise and assist mission is used as a politically neutral term to disguise what is really happening on the ground.

The record-breaking shot was taken by the JTF2 sniper team nearly a month ago, but is just being publicized now, largely because the Canadian military is proud of what their men have accomplished despite what hand wringing politicians might think. Let’s get one thing straight, the record-breaking shot was not at a distance of 3,450 meters as the press has reported, but 90 meters further at a range of 3,540 meters. This smashes the previous record-setting distance for a sniper kill which was 2,475 meters held by British sniper Craig Harrison.

Canadian snipers are known to be amongst the best in the world and the JTF2 sniper detachment had been training for ultra-long range engagements prior to their deployment in preparation for Mosul. From their sniper hide, a number of factors lined up making the record-breaking shot possible. Using Kestral wind meters and ballistic software, the guess-work has been removed from ballistics. This truly makes sniping a science, as successful shots are based on math. On this particular day, there was little wind and no mirage. Through their scope, the sniper and spotter saw the target remaining still long enough for them to hit from 3,540 meters away.

The McMillan Tac-50 was hardly a new rifle, but would do the job. The round fired was a match grade armor-piercing incendiary (API) round. JTF2 mostly utilizes Schmidt and Bender scopes, but also some made by Night Force. Which optic used that day remains unknown at this time. The rifle had been customized in order to gain the mil elevation needed to reach a target at such great distances by attaching special rails to the weapon. The adjustments dialed into the scope by the JTF2 sniper were 113 mils of elevation and 6.5 mils of windage. To learn more about the mil-dot system and how snipers use it to adjust for distance and wind, take a look at the following website.

The JTF2 sniper fired, and the target went down, felled by a .50 caliber bullet from over two miles away. The episode was actually recorded by a Predator drone circling overhead. SOFREP has also seen confirmation of the shot from CANSOFCOM.

Minutes later, the same sniper/spotter team noticed a group of three ISIS terrorists standing close to each other at about 3,200 meters away. It would have been another record-breaking shot. The sniper fired at the group and all three hit the ground. One shot, three kills? Unfortunately not this time, the three terrorists sprung up and ran away. The bullet most likely passed right in between them. For the Canadian hunter/killer team it was still an amazing day. Chalking up a record-breaking sniper kill is one thing, having video evidence of it puts the shot into a whole other league.

The JTF2 snipers cannot be named for security purposes.

Author

Jack Murphy is an eight year Army Special Operations veteran who served as a Sniper and Team Leader in 3rd Ranger Battalion and as a Senior Weapons Sergeant on a Military Free Fall team in 5th Special Forces Group. Having left the military in 2010, he graduated from Columbia with a BA in political science. Murphy is the author of Reflexive Fire, Target Deck, Direct Action, and numerous non-fiction articles about Weapons, Tactics, Special Operations, Terrorism, and Counter-Terrorism. He has appeared in documentaries, national television, and syndicated radio.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Luke, thanks for posting this. Funny thing, just back from the family vacation to the coast. The surf fishing sucked, rip currents were awful, so I set up my usual Fort Budweiser - homemade beach cart with an array of umbrellas, coolers, bait cutting station, ect. and read books.
The new Bob Lee Swagger novel, then The White Sniper - a book about Simo Hayha's remarkable tour of duty in Finland, and the longest kill, by Craig Harrison. I was surprised at the books ending. The shot he made brought unwanted attention to him and his family.

Mishandled by the British Army, the story was leaked and they relocated Harrison and his family for his protection. Suffering from horrific PTSD and a head injury caused by an IED explosion, he sought help but was largely ignored by the Army. Sent back to the sandbox with only 6 weeks left to serve. The book ended very bitter. I hope this fellow fairs better than Craig did.

Military Snipers regularly make very long kill shots using uber high quality glass ( S&B and Nightforce) at 25x. Remember, shooting men in battle is not shooting Benchrest. If a sniper aims center mass but hits a leg due to a non-static target, wind conditions, mirage, ect., the target is still out of the fight, and in all probability dead. A 300 Win Mag at 1000 yards with a 220 MK doesn't play, and that is the smallest of the big 3 rifles. Interesting article I read last month that the US, with powder changes and heavier, sleeker bullets are approaching 338 LM external ballistics with the old 300 Win Mag. Still a badass round.

The never ending war in the middle east has brought the sniper to the forefront and as a shooter myself, am always interested in the remarkable expertise these well trained men ply their craft. However, the spotter seems to always get lost in the story. He is as much a part of that kill as the shooter. It's a system, the team is the weapon and the rifle is the projection of the system upon the target.

To try this for fun on your home range, take a 22 rf at 300 yards, on a breezy day using clay pigeons as targets. Doesn't quite simulate 2 miles but it's far enough. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

tfbit wrote:If only kids knew how useful math really is...
most of them would probably end up crying in the safe spaces in their rompers, helping each other re-tie up their manbuns, and then protest on the campus that math is hateful and racist. :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Luke2236
Silent Operator

Post by Luke2236 »

rebel wrote:Luke, thanks for posting this. Funny thing, just back from the family vacation to the coast. The surf fishing sucked, rip currents were awful, so I set up my usual Fort Budweiser - homemade beach cart with an array of umbrellas, coolers, bait cutting station, ect. and read books.
The new Bob Lee Swagger novel, then The White Sniper - a book about Simo Hayha's remarkable tour of duty in Finland, and the longest kill, by Craig Harrison. I was surprised at the books ending. The shot he made brought unwanted attention to him and his family...
A few more details have emerged on some Canadian forums I follow, more along the lines of the training JTF2 snipers go through; in particular, and prior to their deployment to Iraq and their "advisor" role, they've concentrated on 3km+ shooting - guess that paid off! And yes the spotter is certainly not to be underestimated, especially with the latest kit they have to support ballistics equation for these ultra long shots. Math again LOL!

Have read some on Craig Harrison too, not a happy story overall. Sad to see the lack of support, not just endemic to the Brits, that our veterans have to face when returning home. I think (hope) my own gov't is taking a more lowkey approach to the individuals here in this case, but I would like to see that Predator drone vid at some point!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Luke2236 wrote:
rebel wrote:Luke, thanks for posting this. Funny thing, just back from the family vacation to the coast. The surf fishing sucked, rip currents were awful, so I set up my usual Fort Budweiser - homemade beach cart with an array of umbrellas, coolers, bait cutting station, ect. and read books.
The new Bob Lee Swagger novel, then The White Sniper - a book about Simo Hayha's remarkable tour of duty in Finland, and the longest kill, by Craig Harrison. I was surprised at the books ending. The shot he made brought unwanted attention to him and his family...
A few more details have emerged on some Canadian forums I follow, more along the lines of the training JTF2 snipers go through; in particular, and prior to their deployment to Iraq and their "advisor" role, they've concentrated on 3km+ shooting - guess that paid off! And yes the spotter is certainly not to be underestimated, especially with the latest kit they have to support ballistics equation for these ultra long shots. Math again LOL!

Have read some on Craig Harrison too, not a happy story overall. Sad to see the lack of support, not just endemic to the Brits, that our veterans have to face when returning home. I think (hope) my own gov't is taking a more lowkey approach to the individuals here in this case, but I would like to see that Predator drone vid at some point!
The tech that is available for the modern sniper is awesome. Kyles long shot on an insurgent with a 300 WM was damn near a mile and he admittedly used a lot of Kentucky windage - the scope dope was maxed, he held off. These people are so skilled that they can do that. My mastery of windage and mirage is infantile by comparison, probably because paper and deer don't shoot back. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.