Need Some 30-06 Load Help

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Some 30-06 Load Help

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:
FatAlbert wrote:Swamp dog: I could go on about people here that are so anal about case lengths but most likely only one in a hundred know what the chamber lenght ( distance from base of seated case to forward end of neck of chamber) is for their rifle?
Might want to dial that back a bit chief. I have this info for about every rifle I load for. There is ONE. At least 5 others on this thread alone have that info for their rifles.
BTW - the forward end of shoulder is called "the Datum" of the case.
edit for correction.
I also know the distance to the lands in all my rifles.
Is this a good place to point out that, that particular measurement is basically pointless without at least one other, but for it to really have meaning, you need two?

Assuming were are speaking of a bottle neck cartridge.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
FatAlbert

Post by FatAlbert »

I am talking about maximum case lenght not headspace. It's the distance from the bolt face to end of chamber neck. Not the case neck.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

FatAlbert wrote:I am talking about maximum case lenght not headspace. It's the distance from the bolt face to end of chamber neck. Not the case neck.
The number you are talking about is generally maximum case length + .010”. But this number is pointless unless you know the where datum line on both the chamber and cartridge are placed in relation. Otherwise you can end up with a cartridge that unintentionally headspaces off the rim.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote:
FatAlbert wrote:I am talking about maximum case lenght not headspace. It's the distance from the bolt face to end of chamber neck. Not the case neck.
The number you are talking about is generally maximum case length + .010”. But this number is pointless unless you know the where datum line on both the chamber and cartridge are placed in relation. Otherwise you can end up with a cartridge that unintentionally headspaces off the rim.
Exactly, I need to Know my headspace. I keep the neck trimmed. My chamber is not a exact print of SAAMI. This has been proved at least 500 times with 300 BLK alone on this forum by very experienced, knowledgeable reloaders.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

FatAlbert wrote:There is a thing out there called the Hodgdon Powder Company. They have a web site and they list loading data for their powders. Guess who sells BL-C(2) powder. Do I really need me to say more or should I lead you the rest of the way? Hint Rifle-3006-150gr-BL-c(2)
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

This is a great opportunity to give a little context info that I think anyone new or well experienced in reloading can appreciate.

Context Info:
So we are all on the same page, I have looked at the Hodgdon site as well as other online sources in the past while working on this particular load and they do not list the bullet I am using. The bullet absolutely matters when working on a load with little to no load data out there or any load for that matter. We don't want to hurt ourselves, others, or our firearms due to poor reloading practices.

The Hodgdon does list BLC2 loads for two different 150gr Nosler bullets
and two different COAL (COL on the site) for the different bullets.

The .308 150gr Nos E-Tip has an OAL of 1.293" (https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html)
The .308 150gr Nos BT (Ballistic Tip) has an OAl of 1.280" (https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html)

The .308 150gr Hornady GMX I am loading has an OAL of 1.328 (0.035" longer than the Nos Etip and 0.048" longer than the Nos BT) , (see the following image)

The 30-06 Springfield Spec has the Max COAL (COL) at 3.340" (pg. 107 https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 4-2015.pdf)

Like many many others here I also measure my chamber length. My rifle's chamber length measures 3.411".

The 150gr GMX bullet I am loading is an ALL Copper bullet. All copper bullets (or all gilding metal bullets) can produce higher pressures than that of their copper jacket lead core cousins which is something to be aware of as well when working up a load that does not contain published data.

When looking across Hodgdon's website, a ton of other websites, Lymans reloading manual, and even Horandy's loading manual, there is no published load for the 30-06 using BLC2 and the Hornady 150gr GMX bullet. I ended up using the QuickLoads software to get me started and then worked up from there.

Lessons Learned:
Following the best practices of reloading is really the only way to go unless someone wants to lose an eye or a finger and tear up a firearm.
Many of us like to tinker and figure out viable loads that just aren't always published. Hell, a bunch of us were here doing this before the 300BLk gained any popularity and had any official published data to begin with so this community is full of great resources to get a hand from that will steer you in the best and safest direction.

It is a poor reloading practice to think that all 150gr bullets are created equal and that they can be swapped out with one another at will. It as additionally poor to guess at what powder loads work safely with one COAL vs another COAL or with bullets of different weights and lengths than what is published.

FatAlbert you may have fully believed the info you were providing was the solution to the problem and that a little tough love may have been a great way for someone to learn something. In this case but I think the topic needs and benefits from more discussion and open minded sharing of knowledge with one another verses making absolute declarations and acting as though someone is stupid or beneath being treated respectfully.

None one here is a mind reader or the utmost authority on any topic regarding reloading, firearms, or any of the other topics we discuss around here. Also, making assumptions and lacking the proper amount of respect for others, especially when having had little to no interactions with them, is not going to get people far in this forum :)

I'm happy to give any additional context info and respectfully share and debate anything in this topic so let's all figure out what we can learn for the day that comes when someone else needs to run a 30-06 load with the 150gr GMX and BLC2 powder :)
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Bravo, and agreed.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Mike7.62 wrote:Bravo, and agreed.
Thanks Mike, just doin what I can so that everyone benefits 8)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Can't delete this post which I used for updating the turorial thread since tinypic.com went under.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=84314&p=788851#p788851

I may actually have some updates to this post BUT I'm going to wait until I hit the 100yd range this upcoming weekend to verify the results.
Using a "different" loading practice for bullets that have a secant ogive design I was able to put 5 bullets into a large whole at 50yds and a 6th bullet right next to the large hole!!!
I need to go out to 100yds to see if the accurracy holds up and if so, then I can jump for joy lol :lol: