Need Some 30-06 Load Help

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Some 30-06 Load Help

Post by plant.one »

tallburnedmidget wrote: Hahahaha all of this because I do not want to do much tracking in the dark with my evening hunts. The 30-06 aught to knock these under 100 pound deer right in to the walk-in freezer for me :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Well I have a ladder loaded up. I just need to make a plan to get out to the range. The best rifle range (I know of) in my area is closed M-Tue, and on Wed their 25/50yd rifle bays are closed to the public, and then they open at noon Thu-Fri... It's an outdoor range in the July TX heat hahahaha

I'ts been a mild summer but even at 93-95 degrees that is a bit uncomfortable to try and do load development and be accurate while trying to keep the sweat out of the eyes. It only gets more miserable in 100 degree plus days.

If I use that range my plan is to try and get into the 25/50yd bays and get out ASAP. Then reload for the 100yd bays and try to do that at 8am on Sat/Sun when they open. Maybe I can catch 85-87 degrees at 8am and even less on a cloudy day... provided the range isn't swarmed with people.

I'm also kicking around an unorthadoxed idea to get into an indoor range with 100yd rifle bays but they are closed today so I won't know if it is possible for me to do so until I speak with them on Wed morning. If I can finagle that situation then I'm indoors and I can likely go during the weekday mornings so I have plenty of privacy, time, and no crowd hassle. Fingers are crossed! :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If that BLC-2 does not get you there, try 4064. Old standard for the 06. It still works well.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

rebel wrote:If that BLC-2 does not get you there, try 4064. Old standard for the 06. It still works well.
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the BLC-2 works out, I have 16 pounds of it and gotta use it somehow.
I think as long as I can get accurate with it and my velocity is above 2650fps I'll be ready to rock :)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Just an update here. I have since bought Quickloads and I loaded up 4 more ladders and I think I'm good enough to go with a 49.5gr load.

I'm shooting a 2 inch group which will work for hunting and is much better than the load I hunted with last year which was dropping both white tails and an Axis deer within 20 yds of impact.

I think I could improve the grouping some but not enough time to work on it before it's time to put meat in the freezer. I had planned to do a lot more load workup over the past couple of months but it STORMED like every freaking weekend over the past couple of months really limiting my load development plans.

In any case I plan to hunt again with the 30-06 during my evening hunts so I don't have to track deer so much in the dark. I've never had a deer run more than about 40yds when hit with a 30-06 bullet making tracking a non-issue.

I'm also hunting during the morning hunts with the 110gr Lehigh Defense CC which was DEVISTATING for me in the past. If I get a bunch of DRT and short run offs with the CC then I may be able to put away the 30-06 for evening hunts since the 300BLK has pretty much left me little to no blood trail on over a couple of dozen deer/pigs I've killed with it over the years.

Thanks for all the assistance guys and next year if/when I get to doing some more load development here I will report back as usual :)
FatAlbert

Post by FatAlbert »

There is a thing out there called the Hodgdon Powder Company. They have a web site and they list loading data for their powders. Guess who sells BL-C(2) powder. Do I really need me to say more or should I lead you the rest of the way? Hint Rifle-3006-150gr-BL-c(2)
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

FatAlbert wrote:There is a thing out there called the Hodgdon Powder Company. They have a web site and they list loading data for their powders. Guess who sells BL-C(2) powder. Do I really need me to say more or should I lead you the rest of the way? Hint Rifle-3006-150gr-BL-c(2)
You'll go far here :roll:
FatAlbert

Post by FatAlbert »

Swamp dog: I could go on about people here that are so anal about case lengths but most likely only one in a hundred know what the chamber lenght ( distance from base of seated case to forward end of neck of chamber) is for their rifle?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

FatAlbert wrote:Swamp dog: I could go on about people here that are so anal about case lengths but most likely only one in a hundred know what the chamber lenght ( distance from base of seated case to forward end of neck of chamber) is for their rifle?
Might want to dial that back a bit chief. I have this info for about every rifle I load for. There is ONE. At least 5 others on this thread alone have that info for their rifles.
BTW - the forward end of shoulder is called "the Datum" of the case.
edit for correction.
I also know the distance to the lands in all my rifles.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

FatAlbert wrote:There is a thing out there called the Hodgdon Powder Company. They have a web site and they list loading data for their powders. Guess who sells BL-C(2) powder. Do I really need me to say more or should I lead you the rest of the way? Hint Rifle-3006-150gr-BL-c(2)
Aside from the fact that you're being sarcastic on a two year post, is it your contention that data for one bullet can be directly used for another bullet that's not only longer but of a different construction?