for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by GunFunZS » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm

plant.one wrote:so where exactly are you findingg 300 blk for 20 cents a shhot?


its rare you can find 30cal bullets for 20 cents each...


#askingForAFriend
Good catch. I mathed wrong. $8.99/20 ~ = 44 cents each, not ~20. I feel dumb now.

Still way less than 308 Win.

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 6517
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by plant.one » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 pm

absolutely - current offerings of 300 blk FMJ target loads have expanded a lot since the early days - still less than 308 fmj and has come down quite a bit for reman ammo.

which has been fantastic. its only helped mainstream the cartridge.


as i said...
thats one thing everyone has cried about the 300 blk since it was released... cheap fmj ammo. and we finally have a manufacturer that solved that problem right from launch.
i still stand by that statement. quality sub 50 cent a squeeze ammo didnt exist for us until - relatively - recently. for a very long time you could only do that as a reloader.

and we have a manufacturer thats releasing a brand new 47 state legal hunting cartridge with just that - 50 cent or under plinking grade FMJ ammo for practicing - right from product launch.

that foresight of listening and responding to what shooters want/need deserves praise from Winchester. I feel it stands to give them a big out of the box product launch boost from the early adopter crowd.

especially since long gone are the days when you could go to your local wally world and pickup a box of core-lokt or win super-x for $6 for your deer slaying booomstick. those days are long gone and nearly into the mythical fair tale category.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

User avatar
dellet
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 5835
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by dellet » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm

plant.one wrote:absolutely - current offerings of 300 blk FMJ target loads have expanded a lot since the early days - still less than 308 fmj and has come down quite a bit for reman ammo.

which has been fantastic. its only helped mainstream the cartridge.


as i said...
thats one thing everyone has cried about the 300 blk since it was released... cheap fmj ammo. and we finally have a manufacturer that solved that problem right from launch.
i still stand by that statement. quality sub 50 cent a squeeze ammo didnt exist for us until - relatively - recently. for a very long time you could only do that as a reloader.

and we have a manufacturer thats releasing a brand new 47 state legal hunting cartridge with just that - 50 cent or under plinking grade FMJ ammo for practicing - right from product launch.

that foresight of listening and responding to what shooters want/need deserves praise from Winchester. I feel it stands to give them a big out of the box product launch boost from the early adopter crowd.

especially since long gone are the days when you could go to your local wally world and pickup a box of core-lokt or win super-x for $6 for your deer slaying booomstick. those days are long gone and nearly into the mythical fair tale category.
Timing is everything.

I bought 300 Blackout UMC supers for $17.00 and Remington Match for $21.00 off the shelf locally until December of '12.

This cartridge is being introduced into a saturated market where "plinking" bullets can be had for less than 1/3 the cost.

You would be better off comparing it to the cost of 357 magnum ammo, not rifle ammo and remember the timing. In 2013 a 50 round box of Aguila 22LR sold for more than what 350 Legend cheap stuff looks like it will cost. :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.

45r
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by 45r » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm

It's a good fit for the powder coated boolits that can be used in the max.
They are making a 265 grain sub load for it.
The sub load can be used with a 9mm can.
Cans like the mystic can shoot subs and supers.
I'll still use my 450 bushmaster for deer hunting.

User avatar
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by MMA10mm » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Even though it is technically headspacing off the case mouth, I think the expansion of the case head to 0.390" was partially for feeding, butalso partially to assist in headspacing. Even if the case mouth is given a roll-crimp, the taper of the case into a tapered chamber would stop the cartridge in the chamber hard enough to give sufficient resistance for the extractor to snap over the rim.

User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 6517
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by plant.one » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 am

MMA10mm wrote:Even though it is technically headspacing off the case mouth, I think the expansion of the case head to 0.390" was partially for feeding, butalso partially to assist in headspacing. Even if the case mouth is given a roll-crimp, the taper of the case into a tapered chamber would stop the cartridge in the chamber hard enough to give sufficient resistance for the extractor to snap over the rim.

*depending on the chamber.....
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

User avatar
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:53 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by cwlongshot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

plant.one wrote:the only thing 223 based about it is the rim diameter. sadly. i had heard the same nonsense earrly on too and was very excited about it. "someone finally did to the 357AR what Robert did to the 300 wisper". ya nope.

i think winchester shot them selves s in the foot with this one. it'll still be popular, but i bet when brass IS finally available it'll bee 90 cents to a buck each for the first year or two... unless starline steps it up and gives them the finger ASAP.



as for semi-auto's that headspace off the case mouth - the 450 bushmaster and the 50 beowulf do just dandy in AR's... so not even close to venturing into new territory.

so its only a matter of time before someone does one.



but proprietary brass is going to kill the acceptance of it, at least in the short term by folks like us who are reloaders.
100% agreed..

LONG time 357Max user. Its a great caliber for me here shooting deer. The 300 pretty much took its spot as my maximums where all single shots. Friend on another board came up with the 357AR and I liked what he was doing, but the PIA making cases kinda turned me away. Now that Starline offers basic 223 brass... AND Winchester has awakened the love of the Max within me I may do something, but it will not be the legend.

CW
RARR 300 BLK
Ares SCR 300 BLK
TROY "other" 300 BLK

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS!!

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by rlandry6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

How does any bottleneck case headspace off the case mouth?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel

User avatar
dellet
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 5835
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by dellet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:02 pm

rlandry6 wrote:How does any bottleneck case headspace off the case mouth?
A bottle neck should not ever headspace off the neck.

It can do it if the trim length is too long, or the shoulder set too far back.

The 350 case is straight wall like a pistol with a rim a smaller diameter than the case, so it headspaces off the rim of the neck
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Re: for anyone following the new 350 legend - saami drawing released

Post by rlandry6 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

dellet wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:How does any bottleneck case headspace off the case mouth?
A bottle neck should not ever headspace off the neck.

It can do it if the trim length is too long, or the shoulder set too far back.

The 350 case is straight wall like a pistol with a rim a smaller diameter than the case, so it headspaces off the rim of the neck

I thought MMA10MM's comment was refering to Blackout since the thread had migrated to that topic.
Sorry, my bad.

On a side note, this having to sign in multiple times a day is really getting to be a drag. Is anyone even working on it?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel

Post Reply