300BlkTalk

All things 300 AAC BLACKOUT
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I will say: my apologies for coming off gruff. I'm so sick of the boutique-shooters milling designs and decorations in their slides for cosmetic reasons with no regard for engineering. You have a very legitimate desire/reason for saving weight. It's just as everyone else has said: Not a good plan in your case...

I guess, another question would be: What do you want protection for, critters or bad people?

Have you thought of a S&W 329? As much of a Glock and 10mm fan as I am, I'd prefer the 44 Mag for wilderness use...

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

Agree 100%. I was going to suggest the same until I read that he had already purchased the M29. The 329PD is lighter, more powerful if needed, and more versatile; meaning that one may tailor loads to whatever situation one wanted. Snakeshot, mid range loads, and light target loads, or .44 Spcl., for practice, with no concerns whatever IRT feeding and function. IMO, revolvers are the sine qua non of woods cruising handguns. No magazines to lose, varied loads readily accepted, and reliable with all ammo, without the "tap, rack, re-assess/bang" drills required for semi autos if a malfunction does occur. Of course I'm biased, as I prefer revolvers for woods cruising and backpacking for all of the above reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I will look into that. I bought the Glock right so I can easily make a little money on it. Now that it is in my possession, I see how much beefier it is than the G19 I recently sold. Most places I hike/camp I am primarily concerned with 2 legged snakes and I have lots of good options for that. I do, however, go places where there are things that can eat me which was the reason for investing in something with a little more bite. I do already own a S&W 1006 that I really enjoy shooting BUT it weighs way too much to backpack with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm 
Silent But Deadly

They also make derringers in calibers adequate for larger animals. Employing them in a hurry might be problematic and the recoil would be devastating. I can remember reading an article by a guy who has arthritis in his wrist and elbow that is attributed to him firing a box of shells out a 4" derringer chambered in 444 Marlin. I cannot imagine the recoil but they also make them in 45-70.

By removing weight of the slide you are going to increase felt recoil and possibly damage the gun. And that damage might not show up until the exact moment you need it, Murphy always kicks you in the nuts at the worst possible time. Not to mention the fact that if it does open earlier you run the risk of a case head separation which will be catastrophic for you if you are trying to save your life from an animal that is trying to eat you. A case head separation in a 10mm Glock will destroy it.

I am not a revolver guy at all. I haven't owned one in 30 years and haven't shot one in at least 20. But with that being said I think I would rather have a revolver in 44 magnum, 460 or even 500 S&W over a semi auto Glock in 10mm, especially a modified one.

I would reduce weight on something else that is not a life saving device instead modifying the Glock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 am 
Silent But Deadly

Thanks, good advice that I will heed. I will say though that my 'base weight' is already very low and the option of reducing weight somewhere else isn't really there unless it is the motor that drives me (I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds off my 50-year-old mid-section...) I am looking into the revolver. Not sure the derringer idea is quite what I am after but that is also food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 am 
Silent But Deadly

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, here is a great review of the revolver suggested after the reviewer used it in the application I am after for 3 years and around 1000 rounds:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rm-review/

It weighs slightly less than the Taurus equivalent but both still weigh slightly more than the G29 so I guess it is a choice between 10mm and 44mag, not so much the quest to further reduce weight.

G29 - 24.69 oz
329PD - 25.1 oz
444 - 28.3