Best red dot for under $250?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best red dot for under $250?

Post by ncbowhnter »

Superfld wrote:That sparc 2 with the magnifier looks pretty cool. $400......so much for my budget but I might have to go for that.
Check some reviews on the magnifier if you are going to go that route
Eye relief is really short on most of them.
If you want magnification then look at a decent 1-4 scope. Any of them with a true 1 power you will still be able to use as a red dot. It just won't be as quick as an actual red dot.
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Primary arms
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Primary arms micro red dot, low cost, performs decently and absolutely the most essential feature for consideration on any of my rifles?- low weight. I have no need to buy a hefty, expensive, tacticool red dot that a tank can drive over, heck I even despise rail sections on my handguard, LOL, LOL, LOL
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
Chuckles
Silent Operator

Post by Chuckles »

Holosun makes the Primary Arms red dots. They have a broader selection of red dots if you buy from the oem Holosun. The HS503C and HD515C are both really nice circle dots. If you just want a dot get the HS403G. I have several and they all function flawless. They also have 30mm tube dots.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

If you are sticking with the $250 red dot requirement, i'm in the Primary Arms crowd. If, as your post suggests, you might consider spending more, i'm in the Aimpoint camp...that being said, i just got done firing my friend's new MPX with the Trijicon MRO equipped, and liked it as much as my Aimpoints...about the same price range. I would not consider the magnifier as a good option, and agree that if you will be wanting some "range" with your SBR optic, you consider a 1x4 or 1x6 optic -- once again, Primary Arms...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

It may be a little against the grain of what is popular but I am focusing on improving the quality of my firearms verses the quantity. For me that includes the optics.

Aimpoint prices make me heave and choke so when Trijicon came out with the MRO I got pretty stoked about it because it isn't much more than a vortex.

Just like Leupold optics on Amazon aren't much more than....Primary Arms and Vortex.

Heck lately Bushnell optics have glass that is clearer and brighter than Primary Arms glass.

Ask me how I know
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I was going to suggest the Primary Arms Aimpoint clone with fixed dot reticle vs the mulit retilce version, but neither may be current products! Their prism scopes are worthwhile, and have an etched reticle that is visible in daylight should the battery fail.
Black Rifles Matter
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Another very worthy candidate is the new Vortex SpitfireAR, etched prism with red or green illum. A shop nearby got one in just the other day and I checked it, nice reticle that isn't cluttered with a bunch of tacticool crap.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Primary arms, Schmimary arms. They recently took it upon themselves to enforce Colorado's magazine ban and extend it to the people of Illinois, claiming some hooha about California and liability. They can go out of business for all I care.

I did recently read about Vortex coming out with a SPARC AR this year. Not sure what's so different, but it'd be worth a look too if you haven't settled on something. This thread is a little old.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I like my vortex spare 2...
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER