Looking for a handguard?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Okimeister

Looking for a handguard?

Post by Okimeister »

Ok folks I need some direction here. I'm in the process of getting parts for a 9 inch 300 SBR build with a Sig SRD762TI-QD, presently I'm waiting for 2 stamps (SBR & suppressor).
I'm looking for a preferably keymod rail system with a medium diameter. On my other 2 carbines I have 1 KAC M4 RAS (thick) and the other a BCM KMR Alpha (skinny). I'm thinking with the weight of the can being about 17 oz a skinnier rail like the KMR wouldn't feel so comfortable and the RAS is a bit thick. Any suggestions as to a rail in the middle? Preferably one with add on rails...I've sort of been thinking about the ALG Rail V2 KeyMod. Something around 8 inches in length and 1.5-1.75 inch OD.

As a side note the only items I'll have on the rail are flip up sights, Surefire light and a Forward grip of some sort.

What say you? Any suggestions?
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for a handguard?

Post by 392heminut »

I'm partial to the Samson Evolution handguards myself. They are 1.8" O.D. and 1.56" I.D. I've used two on builds now and wouldn't hesitate to use another one. They are very well built and won't break the bank like some handguards do.
Okimeister

Post by Okimeister »

Thanks, but after looking at the Samson, nice but not quite what I'm looking for I took a look at the Diamondhead VRS T, with the angled front it looks like it might just give me some space to acces the release latch/button on the SRD. Anyone have and experience with the VRS T ?
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

What can? Are attempting to go under the handguard?
blueeyephil

Post by blueeyephil »

Just picked up a Samson Evo on sale at Midway. This is the older model, not the new keymod version.
TxGnRnr

Post by TxGnRnr »

If you are going for lightest weight, look at the SLR Rifleworks handguards, particularly the Solo series. I have one on a 5.56 SBR with a Specwar QD mount. Very comfortable handguard.

With the Sig QD, I don't think that you want to put the suppressor under the handguards as that would make accessing the locking tab very difficult.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Bravo Company KMR-Alpha

You will be hard pressed to find a better hand guard for a better price that is as light weight as it is. my 13.5" is 9.9 oz with barrel nut and installation hardware. It comes with a barrel nut wrench, blue Loctite and was very very easy to install. The anodizing was a very high quality. I did test it with a sand blaster and it did not peel off like crap anodizing does. I painted mine and the anodizing made a great base coat.

The shorter versions are a couple oz lighter. The keymod works great. It has keymod lock ups all around the rail so you wont need an offset mount for accessories.

The hand guard also included a polymer rail section and a QD sling attachment.

One purchase includes almost everything you need.

sidenote

I also purchased a short forward grip. It is very ergonomic. T. Mark Graham did my paint from Arizona Response Systems. www.arizonaresonsesytems.com My whole gun is camouflage, is very smooth and comfortable in the hand, and looks great. So I will not need those plastic hand guard covers.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

A-Game wrote:Bravo Company KMR-Alpha I am waiting on the same Can. I bought it last month from Silencer Shop.

That can works great with the Sig Sauer MCX Rifle 16" type hand guard with a 9" barrel. It will fit underneath. The MCX has a QD hand guard and so it is easy to remove the silencer.
Otherwise you are hard pressed to find a hand guard with a large enough internal diameter to fit over the 1.75" diameter can.

The down side is the hand guard will be large and heavy and very very hot under sustained fire. just my .02

You will be hard pressed to find a better hand guard for a better price that is as light weight as it is. my 13.5" is 9.9 oz with barrel nut and installation hardware. It comes with a barrel nut wrench, blue Loctite and was very very easy to install. The anodizing was a very high quality. I did test it with a sand blaster and it did not peel off like crap anodizing does. I painted mine and the anodizing made a great base coat.

The shorter versions are a couple oz lighter. The keymod works great. It has keymod lock ups all around the rail so you wont need an offset mount for accessories.

The hand guard also included a polymer rail section and a QD sling attachment.

One purchase includes almost everything you need.

sidenote

I also purchased a short forward grip. It is very ergonomic. T. Mark Graham did my paint from Arizona Response Systems. http://www.arizonaresonsesytems.com My whole gun is camouflage, is very smooth and comfortable in the hand, and looks great. So I will not need those plastic hand guard covers.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
baw659

Post by baw659 »

^ +1
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Post by mech5700 »

Kinda late to the party, but Aero Precision has a few options available. I just ordered a 9" MLOK Enhanced setup for my 9.5" SBR. Large enough so there is not interference with anything, light (6.4oz), and has a rail on top. They also have a new Quantum HG, little heavier 9oz I think, that is smooth on all sides with a provided pic rail section for a front sight if you would like to put one on. Inexpensive too. Both enhanced and quantum are available in keymod or MLOK, 7, 9, 12, and 15 inch.

Andy