Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

danner
Silent But Deadly

Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle

Post by danner »

Just received my Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle.

What a nice little scope.

First observations:

glass is decent but my Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP has better glass.

Clicks are slightly better than my PA. That's not saying too much considering how mushy the PA scope clicks are.

Reticle is nice and doesn't appear to crowd the view with the BDC stadia even though I am not a fan of BDC (I prefer Mil-Dot but am not opposed to trying new things).

The illumination is bright but it is overcast today so I cannot tell if it is bright enough for the illumination to be useful in direct sunlight. The black reticle is easily seen regardless as it seems to have nice contrast.

Red illumination blooms at max but that's not too abnormal.

Adjusting the power ring is much easier than on other variable power scopes I've used and doesn't take huge forearm muscles to hold onto it while turning.

Eyebox is not too bad at all and much more forgiving than any of the scopes I currently use.

Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle

Post by DRZ-400S »

Nice, mine should be here on the 13th. Can't wait going on one of my 308 PA-10's. I was going to get the PA 1x6 acss but, 80 buck more for a VIP warranty was worth it to me. Nice set up BTW.
Last edited by DRZ-400S on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Good Shot Is All I Need.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...looking forward to your usage reports. BTW, sweet looking rig 8)
jcomar1

Post by jcomar1 »

Where did you order it from?
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

jcomar1 wrote:Where did you order it from?
I went with Midway USA
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

jcomar1 wrote:Where did you order it from?
If you're a vet order it from Joe Bob's and you can get a discount. http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vortex_ ... 1624-1.htm
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

The sun is nice and bright today so for those that care about this sort of thing I checked the illumination just now in my back yard. The illumination is daylight visible on the highest settings, however, against the bright sky the illumination cannot be seen. Shouldn't make a difference though as the black reticle is clearly visible against that sort of background. But using it to look across my back yard out to about 70 yards or so, in the shadows and out of the shadows, the illuminated reticle is daylight visible.

Another thing I checked was whether it is a true 1x or not. I am happy to report it is indeed a true 1x so for those of you who, like me, prefer to shoot with both eyes open, will like that.

The mount in the picture is an ADM Scout-X and the flip-up caps that come with the scope just clears the Magpul Gen2 MBUS.

Last evening I was delighted to see how well this scope "sees" in the twilight. Eventually I hope to use it on my 300blk AR-pistol to harvest some game.

ETA: the blooming visible with the red illumination set on high cannot be seen in bright daylight, just when it is overcast or dark. Guess that's why they give you a knob to turn select a setting which is proper for conditions, LOL.
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

I just got my Strike Eagle the other day..and I have to say it is a very nice scope indeed! I agree with Danner on the blooming but, like he said you can adjust the illumination. I find that if set on 1 or 2 is perfect for very little light. The 10 and 11 setting is day light visible. My windage/elevation knobs are very positive "not mushy" but, are not very audible. Over all I am very happy with it. Shooting report soon.
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

DRZ-400S wrote:I just got my Strike Eagle the other day..and I have to say it is a very nice scope indeed! I agree with Danner on the blooming but, like he said you can adjust the illumination. I find that if set on 1 or 2 is perfect for very little light. The 10 and 11 setting is day light visible. My windage/elevation knobs are very positive "not mushy" but, are not very audible. Over all I am very happy with it. Shooting report soon.
Cool, glad you're happy. It's a nice scope for sure!

As for the turret clicks, I've been using for a long time an old Simmons 44Mag, a model from before they started making them in china, and its clicks are what I would consider nice; the clicks are positive, and audible. So that's what I am using as a reference of comparison.
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

Took it out today put it on my 12.5" 308 in no time I was poping milk jugs at 225 yards. Can't wait to test it out farther. BTW...I love this scope!