PA 1-6x ACSS scope, am I missing something?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

PA 1-6x ACSS scope, am I missing something?

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I've been very interested in this scope since I've done extensive research and I just haven't found a reticle I like in any other scopes. This seems like a winner and I can't wait to hear some more reviews but in the meantime I have a question about the BDC on this scope.

According to the Nikon Spot On ballistics calculator a Barnes 110gr black tip going 2400fps will drop 21.28" at 300 yards when zeroed at 100 yards. If I'm thinking correctly 1 MOA at 300 yards is 3" so that means it should take about 7 MOA to adjust for the drop of that bullet at 300 yards. If zeroed at 50 yards it says that it will drop 18.97" which is a little more than 6 MOA adjustment needed. My question is at 300 yards on the Primary Arms reticle it states that that spot is a 5.1 MOA adjustment down. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Re: PA 1-6x ACSS scope, am I missing something?

Post by rpk47 »

I used Sierra Infinity program to figure bullet drop and also got some odd numbers. It didn't have the Barnes black tip bullet profile to select from so I selected the 110gr Hornady Vmax. It is also listed on PA's site with a velocity of 2350FPS and 50yd zero to work with the BDC. I also see the marked drops not being anywhere close to what is printed on the BDC.

With the listed MOA of drop on the BDC is in red, yardage in blue is what the BDC says the range will be and yardage in green is Seirra caclulation.

2.9 MOA - 250yd - 200yd
5.1MOA - 300yd - 250yd
10.4 MOA - 400yd - 340yd
16.95 MOA - 500yd - 440yd

EDIT:
Found the BC of the Barnes black tip and ran it at 100yd zero 2400FPS (2.5 inch sight height also) Here are the numbers that Sierra Infinity calculated

2.9 MOA - 250yd - Between 190yd and 200yd
5.1MOA - 300yd - 250yd
10.4 MOA - 400yd - 350yd
16.95 MOA - 500yd - Between 440yd and 450yd

So it seems that it was very close to the Vmax, in how it drops. But non the less it seems the PA BDC for 300blk is a bit optimistic by about 50 or so yards. Not to mention it would be more off when shooting 7.62x39 as they drop faster.
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

So, I guess I'm not the only one who noted this. I wonder if PA will chime in or someone else with some information about this.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...PA has 2 different scopes that are 1-6x ACSS, one reticle is calibrated for .223/5.56/.308 and the other specifically for AK 7.62x39/300BLK. The 2 images below is what Strelok+ shows for each model using the FPS values you stated & Barnes 110 specs at 100yds (typical zeroing range manufacturer recommends). The specific scope model is displayed in the image.

Just be aware, the drops for the holdover marks shown MAY NOT be accurate for YOUR BARREL as the FPS values you will achieve out of your barrel most likely will be less, you have to chrony the actual rounds thru your barrel to get the true values to plug into a ballistic calculator.

bman940

Post by bman940 »

Great job guy's! Adding in correct scope height is a step many skip. Measuring scope height, mid-bore to mid-scope will help accuracy a lot as will getting a chrono on that round. If you are like me and shoot Blackout's between 10.5-16 inches you will notice a difference. Similar to shooting your .556's from 20 inch barrel to 16inch., I get roughly 200 fps less then advertised MV.

Ballistic Programs are only going to be as accurate as the data you enter, so the better the data the more accurate your bullet will be downrage.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Thanks for the reply Bart. I went ahead and bought the PA scope as it was finally in stock but it's the first non-Nikon scope I have. I just didn't like the offerings for 300blk for Nikon. I will say my p-22 rimfire is awesome for my RAR 22lr. I always take the time to input the scope height as I know it affects the ballistics software accuracy but I usually put in the velocity that I expect or am getting with a particular barrel as well. I'll report back once I get a chance to shoot the PA scope.

Since, I know you're on here what's the chance if seeing a better user interface with the spot on app? Particularly with the ability to add your own handloads? Currently it's not very intuitive for handloading.
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I received my scope today and so far I am very pleased. I really like the 1x option, it feels really good for red dot simulation. You can tell your looking through a scope and not a red dot but that's a worthwhile compromise to have a BDC and magnification, especially 6x. I can't wait to sight this in and try it out. The only thing so far I've noticed is that the eye piece cap doesn't fit snug anymore once you adjust for your vision. I'm sure you could pay $1000 + and get a scope thats better but for the price and features I really like it.